I'm in a rut, really don't know how to get out - Advice would be much appreciated.

Watch
cyoung17
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Here's a brief history of everything that's happened up until now:

It's been approximately one and a half years since I left highschool.

I left when I was 17 years old (S5, in Scotland) and my plan was to hopefully obtain some sort of apprenticeship. Well, to say the least, that didn't work out. There weren't many that I felt passionate about enough to pursue and the ones that I did apply for, either didn't respond, or I screwed up the interview because, well, I suck at interviews.

I spent months searching for a crappy part-time retail position (occasionally I applied for an apprenticeship or two) and eventually after spending a shameful amount of time locked in my room doing NOTHING for DAYS ON END, I managed to scrape a 12 hour position with Hobbycraft.

I worked there from March to December last year.

In December, I decided to quit and use the money I earned with Hobbycraft to go travelling in South East Asia for a bit because, quite frankly, I felt like it. It would mean two months where I'd actually feel alive and not be couped up in my bedroom all day, everyday.

I arrived back 17 days ago. It was a great trip, as you can probably imagine. Nothing more to say about it.

Now that my urge to travel has been subdued for a while, I really need to crack on with doing anything that will get me out of my parents house and living independently. I crave independence, that's probably one of the reasons I went solo travelling. The problem is, I am still at a standstill. I am constantly going back and forth and back and forth about what is the best option for me. There is nothing I am passionate about. I used to be passionate about Art and Music but I am no longer interested in those things anymore. I feel like I've lost my identity, as cliche as it may sound. I don't talk to anyone anymore and the only friend I have is stuck in a dead end call centre job working 40 hours a week, depressed, and doesn't talk to me anymore.

Here are what I consider my options. Which one would you pick?

1. Start applying for retail jobs NOW. Build up my bank account balance while thinking about what my next move is.

2. Start taking night classes and get the highers I need to go to University. Apply for a course that I think I might be interested in and do it. Take advantage of Scotland's free education.
Last edited by cyoung17; 1 month ago
Mosaic4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cyoung17)

I left when I was 17 years old (S5, in Scotland) and my plan was to hopefully obtain some sort of apprenticeship. Well, to say the least, that didn't work out. There weren't many that I felt passionate about enough to pursue and the ones that I did apply for, either didn't respond, or I screwed up the interview because, well, I suck at interviews.

I spent months searching for a crappy part-time retail position (occasionally I applied for an apprenticeship or two) and eventually after spending a shameful amount of time locked in my room doing NOTHING for DAYS ON END, I managed to scrape a 12 hour position with Hobbycraft.

In December, I decided to quit and use the money I earned with Hobbycraft to go travelling in South East Asia for a bit because, quite frankly, I felt like it. It would mean two months where I'd actually feel alive and not be couped up in my bedroom all day, everyday.

I arrived back 17 days ago. It was a great trip, as you can probably imagine. Nothing more to say about it.

Now that my urge to travel has been subdued for a while, I really need to crack on with doing anything that will get me out of my parents house and living independently. I crave independence, that's probably one of the reasons I went solo travelling. The problem is, I am still at a standstill. I am constantly going back and forth and back and forth about what is the best option for me. There is nothing I am passionate about. I used to be passionate about Art and Music but I am no longer interested in those things anymore. I feel like I've lost my identity, as cliche as it may sound. I don't talk to anyone anymore and the only friend I have is stuck in a dead end call centre job working 40 hours a week, depressed, and doesn't talk to me anymore.

1. Start applying for retail jobs NOW. Build up my bank account balance while thinking about what my next move is.

2. Start taking night classes and get the highers I need to go to University. Apply for a course that I think I might be interested in and do it. Take advantage of Scotland's free education.
I’d probably advise doing both of the things you mentioned. Money always comes in handy and so if you can find a job, any job, just to tide you over then I think you should go for it.

What you really need to do though is work out what you want to do long term. Have you looked on uni websites to find out if there is a degree you are interested in? If there is, work backwards and find out what qualifications you need to get in. Then find a way of getting these qualifications.

If there isn’t a degree you want, then you are going to have to really think about what skills you have, what you enjoy and investigate lots of different careers. Speak to family and friends of family to find out about what they do and you might find roles you didn’t know existed. There are also websites giving career advice and suggestions for jobs. When you know more about what you want to do, you can work out again what qualifications you need, if any, to get there.

Once you know a bit more about the direction you want to go in, then I’m sure people on TSR can help with a few more pointers.

Good luck!
spicy_ipad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would do option 2, since it will get you a better quality (idk if that's the right term) of job by the end of it.
If you are depressed from the relentless cycle of 40hrs a week in a job where, tbh I think you can aim higher, then a career which requires a degree will be a bit of a process to get to, but it will end up giving you a better salary for the same amount of hours, and a better work-life balance.
Since you've got free education in Scotland then you don't need to worry too much about fees, of course you'll need a bit of money to live off so you could take on a part-time retail job whilst studying.
I wouldn't work entirely in retail as I think you'll find it very long hours for not much reward. Of course, there is nothing wrong with working in retail if that is your passion, but if you are getting depressed then I don't think it's the one for you. Good luck
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would get the higher you need and then defer doing anything until your head is sorted. You like travelling - spend a couple of seasons as a holiday rep - I have just come back from Italy - where the reps in the ski resort were just deciding what to do with their lives - you can do summer and winter. And learn a language at the same time.
cyoung17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by spicy_ipad)
I would do option 2, since it will get you a better quality (idk if that's the right term) of job by the end of it.
If you are depressed from the relentless cycle of 40hrs a week in a job where, tbh I think you can aim higher, then a career which requires a degree will be a bit of a process to get to, but it will end up giving you a better salary for the same amount of hours, and a better work-life balance.
Since you've got free education in Scotland then you don't need to worry too much about fees, of course you'll need a bit of money to live off so you could take on a part-time retail job whilst studying.
I wouldn't work entirely in retail as I think you'll find it very long hours for not much reward. Of course, there is nothing wrong with working in retail if that is your passion, but if you are getting depressed then I don't think it's the one for you. Good luck
I didn't say I was depressed and working in a call centre, that's my friend. Though I must say, I'm definitely getting there day by day.
spicy_ipad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't say I was depressed and working in a call centre, that's my friend. Though I must say, I'm definitely getting there day by day.
ohhh right sorry, didn't read it properly. :P
the retail jobs can be relentless especially if you're doing them full time. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but unfortunately there are many which aren't.
If there's a degree you have your eye on due to even a bit of personal interest, go for it because it can't hurt.
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't go to uni because you think it will get you out of a rut. it might put you in a bigger, 3/4 year one.
cyoung17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
I would get the higher you need and then defer doing anything until your head is sorted. You like travelling - spend a couple of seasons as a holiday rep - I have just come back from Italy - where the reps in the ski resort were just deciding what to do with their lives - you can do summer and winter. And learn a language at the same time.
How did you go about doing this by the way? I'm quite good at skiing so I think becoming a ski instructor could be viable for me actually.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How did you go about doing this by the way? I'm quite good at skiing so I think becoming a ski instructor could be viable for me actually.
You will no be able to become a ski instructor. But you could become a rep. Look at holiday companies. E.g. crystal, interski, neilson etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (286)
34.13%
No (552)
65.87%

Watched Threads