Azotic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm really struggling to understand alleles, DNA and genes found on chromosomes, even though i have read through the topic many times. I know that alleles are different versions for a gene, so a gene can code for different characteristics, but how are genes found on chromosomes and how do chromosomes have genes which code for a polypeptide when the DNA has 2 polynucleotide strands, which have triplets coding for amino acids which in turn code for a polypeptide. How are chromosomes even linked to DNA? Overall i dont know how chromosomes, DNA and alleles/genes are linked, and i do not understand how a cell undergoes meiosis to produce 4 genetically different offspring, because wouldnt that need a change in DNA, not chromosomes? I would appreciate any help.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Azotic)
I'm really struggling to understand alleles, DNA and genes found on chromosomes, even though i have read through the topic many times. I know that alleles are different versions for a gene, so a gene can code for different characteristics, but how are genes found on chromosomes and how do chromosomes have genes which code for a polypeptide when the DNA has 2 polynucleotide strands, which have triplets coding for amino acids which in turn code for a polypeptide. How are chromosomes even linked to DNA? Overall i dont know how chromosomes, DNA and alleles/genes are linked, and i do not understand how a cell undergoes meiosis to produce 4 genetically different offspring, because wouldnt that need a change in DNA, not chromosomes? I would appreciate any help.
Not being rude, but this suggests a fundamental lack of understanding of basic GCSE genetics, not just a confusion with detail. It's not something that could be solved by my posting on TSR, much as I'd like to help you.

I think you need to go back to brass tacks with this. What basic biology texts do you have? I'd suggest you start off with DNA and its structure and organisation before moving on to chromosomes and cell division. Make sure you know the difference between mitosis and meiosis. Once you've looked at this, have a go at DNA replication, transcription and translation. It's a lot of work I'm afraid, but really really fundamental and important that you understand it in detail. Give me a shout if you come across stuff in your readings which you're unsure of.
Azotic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Not being rude, but this suggests a fundamental lack of understanding of basic GCSE genetics, not just a confusion with detail. It's not something that could be solved by my posting on TSR, much as I'd like to help you.

I think you need to go back to brass tacks with this. What basic biology texts do you have? I'd suggest you start off with DNA and its structure and organisation before moving on to chromosomes and cell division. Make sure you know the difference between mitosis and meiosis. Once you've looked at this, have a go at DNA replication, transcription and translation. It's a lot of work I'm afraid, but really really fundamental and important that you understand it in detail. Give me a shout if you come across stuff in your readings which you're unsure of.
Okay, will do, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads