The Student Room Group

Which statistical test?

Hi everyone,

I have been given a couple of questions to answer in preparation for a seminar next week and I'm really stuck on one. I'd really appreciate some help!

The hypothetical scenario is that 8 people have a probe recording the same single neuron. The neuron is recorded for 10 seconds and participants are presented with a visual stimulus at exactly one second into the recording. Is there a statistical procedure for testing whether a given neuron was responsive to that stimulus? Basically, is there a way to test whether a neuron fired more spikes
after the stimulus was presented than would be expected by chance?

Thanks for your help xx
Is there a clear definable baseline for how often the neuron would be expected to fire by chance? If so you could use a Wilcoxon signed-rank test to decide whether the participants had significantly more response spikes than the normal average number.

Or even better, you could determine your own baseline by recording how many times the neuron fired in a ten second period before the stimulus. Then, again, you could use a Wilcoxon paired signed-rank test to compare how many times the neuron fired in the pre-stimulus period to the during/post-stimulus period.

To be clear I know very little about brain science or the design of this kind of experiment - this is just the statistical test that seems most suitable to me. You're trying to compare a numerical variable to a given value, or to the same numerical variable in what is essentially another group, for which you would normally use a T-test. But your sample size is 8 so you can't assume normality, so you use the non-parametric equivalent which is the Wilcoxon signed-rank test.
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Is there a clear definable baseline for how often the neuron would be expected to fire by chance? If so you could use a Wilcoxon signed-rank test to decide whether the participants had significantly more response spikes than the normal average number.

Or even better, you could determine your own baseline by recording how many times the neuron fired in a ten second period before the stimulus. Then, again, you could use a Wilcoxon paired signed-rank test to compare how many times the neuron fired in the pre-stimulus period to the during/post-stimulus period.

To be clear I know very little about brain science or the design of this kind of experiment - this is just the statistical test that seems most suitable to me. You're trying to compare a numerical variable to a given value, or to the same numerical variable in what is essentially another group, for which you would normally use a T-test. But your sample size is 8 so you can't assume normality, so you use the non-parametric equivalent which is the Wilcoxon signed-rank test.

Thank you so much! That was really helpful.

That’s all the information I was given in the scenario - there weren’t any other variables or a given baseline value given for the number of times a neuron would respond by chance, so determining my own baseline sounds like a really good shout.

Quick Reply

Latest