Titration question percentage purity?

Watch this thread
username4347578
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ve almost done it but need to find the percentage purity. How do you do that?
username4347578
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  119.7 KB

It’s the 4th question
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can calculate the moles of NaHCO3 from the mass and the Mr given in the question, as well as the number of moles of NaHCO3 that react from the number of moles of hydrochloric acid. Then consider the total number of moles vs the actual number of moles that react and write the ratio as a percentage. Remember to times the ratio of moles from HCl by ten to have both moles in 250cm^3 of solution.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 2 years ago
MedicPls
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
You can calculate the moles of NaHCO3 from the mass and the Mr given in the question, as well as the number of moles of NaHCO3 that react from the number of moles of hydrochloric acid. Then consider the total number of moles vs the actual number of moles that react and write the ratio as a percentage. Remember to times the ratio of moles from HCl by ten to have both moles in 250cm^3 of solution.
I'm assuimng that it's the fully-reacted NaHCO3 which is pure then, right? Why is it that calculating the % of NaHCO3 that reacted gives you the % of pure NaHCO3? Is it because only the pure NaHCO3 would react?

Thanks in advance
Ðeggs
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
I'm assuimng that it's the fully-reacted NaHCO3 which is pure then, right? Why is it that calculating the % of NaHCO3 that reacted gives you the % of pure NaHCO3? Is it because only the pure NaHCO3 would react?

Thanks in advance
Well the question states the NaHCO3 was impure, so a part of that mass will be made of impurities. But only the NaHCO3 itself will react with the HCl. So the ratio of the two moles determines the percentage of the mass that actually reacted, and hence the purity.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 2 years ago
MedicPls
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well the question states the NaHCO3 was impure, so a part of that mass will be made of impurities. But only the NaHCO3 itself will react with the HCl. So the ratio of the two moles determines the percentage of the mass that actually reacted, and hence the purity.
right so part of the moles of NaHCO3 was impure
so the total moles of it - moles that reacted = moles of impurity remaining?
Ðeggs
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
right so part of the moles of NaHCO3 was impure
so the total moles of it - moles that reacted = moles of impurity remaining?
(Moles that reacted / total moles of compound ) x 100.
MedicPls
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Moles that reacted / total moles of compound ) x 100.
yeah that gives you the % purity right?
username4347578
Rep:
Yesssi got it!!
MedicPls
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Yesssi got it!!
hi, could you tell me what the correct % purity is please so i can check my answer
username4347578
Rep:
Of course! It will be 2.41/3.15 *100
So the answer is 76.5%
MedicPls
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Of course! It will be 2.41/3.15 *100
So the answer is 76.5%
is that the correct answer for definite? I got 43.7 %

With my working out i see how i could have gotten 76.5% but I would need to use ( mass reacted / total mass ) instead of ( moles reacted / total moles ). How do you know which one should be used to calculate % purity? I would have thought you use the moles equation.

Thank you in advance

edit: i understand now! Can't use moles equation because calculating moles of the original impure substance is impossible, since you don't know the actual Mr of the impure substance.
Last edited by MedicPls; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise