How is relationship between adults and young is shown in Romeo and Juliet

Watch
Dmitrii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi everyone, can you please check my work? I am really scared about my Literature and i need to boost my confidence somehow. Please, read through my work and mark it if it's possible and correct if needed.
Thanks a lot

At the time when Romeo and Juliet was written, younger generation were obligated to listen to their parents and be respectful to older people as well, which we can see straight away from the prologue, when servants are nearly having a fight, one of the servant said “I do bight my thumb, sir”, suggesting that he is young and is talking to person who is older than him, showing that even people from “great enemy” families, which are having fights for many years can speak polite and aggressive at the same time. “Thumb” here is a metaphor for the will of having a fight and show the power one servant has, and by ‘biting’ that will, Shakespeare wants to show to the reader that at that time everyone was protecting their families and friends no matter of the opponents` age and character. Will and want for fight were greater than age and polity. However, another servant, in this case, wasn`t scares of speaking with sexual imagery, “My naked weapon is out” explicitly showing that he wants a battle to show his power and will for abusing the servant from another family. This adjective “Naked” shows that sword is sharp and there is nothing on it except power. All this challenges the reader to feel that age even for stranger matters, that everyone has to be polite, however if it crosses family and people you are connected to, no polite language can be used, which gives an understanding of talking processes between strangers at that era.
The best scene where we can see relationship between adults and young people are when Juliet has an argument with parent about marrying Paris “Proud I can never be of what I hate”. At that era, children had no other choice other than listen to their parents. By “Hate”, Juliet means Paris, implicitly, as she and Romeo married recently and she doesn`t want to betray Romeo, but just be with him. This created a feeling that Juliet isn`t a common girl of that era, but childish and too privileged, who doesn`t know how to speak with older people and behave next to them. At the same time, we can see Capulet`s anger, who has more rights and privileges, who shows three stages of anger: “It makes me mad”, showing that refusing is not what he was waiting for and empathises everyone`s attention on his mood, which implies that he always used to get what he wanted do and there were no cases of frustration and disappointment. Then he told Juliet to “Speak not; Reply not; Do not answer me” which explicitly shoes his character and ‘love’ to Juliet, but moreover shows that parent controlled their children, which contrasts very mush with a start of play when Capulet REFUSED to Paris about marriage telling that “My child yet a stranger in this world”, suggesting that she is too young and not ready for marriage, that she didn`t know how this world works and sets the reader`s mind into positive way, because we thought that he is a good parent, who wants the best for his daughter, which makes the reader feel good for Juliet that she has father who cares about her. Third peak of anger we can see by Capulet is when he starts swearing to Juliet, clearly showing disgust and anger towards “yet a stranger”. By saying “hang thee, young baggage, disobedient wretch” Shakespeare wants to contrast Capulets manner towards children from his era to our era, which are completely different and changed a lot through time. Noun “baggage” shows complete peak of his anger and in a combination with a tricolon, separated by commas, Shakespeare completely changes our mind and thought towards Capulet and how good he treats Juliet. Also, “disobedient wretch” clearly shows Capulets wish never to speak to Juliet again as he calls her a poor creature which will hurt anyone, especially young girl. This tricolon of feelings shows how easy it is for Lord Capulet to change the mood and how he is able to speak with his child, giving a reader a thought of nervous relationship in the family which clearly links to the idea of money because usually, people who are poorer has a better relationship with their parent.
At the time when Romeo and Juliet was written, younger generation were obligated to listen to their parents and be respectful to older people as well, which we can see straight away from the prologue, when servants are nearly having a fight, one of the servant said “I do bight my thumb, sir”, suggesting that he is young and is talking to person who is older than him, showing that even people from “great enemy” families, which are having fights for many years can speak polite and aggressive at the same time. “Thumb” here is a metaphor for the will of having a fight and show the power one servant has, and by ‘biting’ that will, Shakespeare wants to show to the reader that at that time everyone was protecting their families and friends no matter of the opponents` age and character. Will and want for a fight were greater than age and polity. However, another servant, in this case, didn't scare of speaking with sexual imagery, “My naked weapon is out” explicitly showing that he wants a battle to show his power and will for abusing the servant from another family. This adjective “Naked” shows that the sword is sharp and there is nothing on it except power. All these challenges the reader to feel that age even for stranger matters, that everyone has to be polite, however, if it crosses family and people you are connected to, no polite language can be used, which gives an understanding of talking processes between strangers at that era.
At the time when Romeo and Juliet was written, younger generation was obligated to listen to their parents and be respectful to older people as well, which we can see straight away from the prologue when servants are nearly fighting, one of the servants said “I do bight my thumb, sir”, suggesting that he is young and is talking to person who is older than him, showing that even people from “great enemy” families, which are having fights for many years can speak polite and aggressive at the same time. “Thumb” here is a metaphor for the will of having a fight and show the power one servant has, and by ‘biting’ that will, Shakespeare wants to show to the reader that at that time everyone was protecting their families and friends no matter of the opponents` age and character. Will and want for a fight were greater than age and polity. However, another servant, in this case, didn't scare of speaking with sexual imagery, “My naked weapon is out” explicitly showing that he wants a battle to show his power and will for abusing the servant from another family. This adjective “Naked” shows that the sword is sharp and there is nothing on it except power. All these challenges the reader to feel that age even for stranger matters, that everyone has to be polite, however, if it crosses family and people you are connected to, no polite language can be used, which gives an understanding of talking processes between strangers at that era.
The best scene where we can see a relationship between adults and young people is when Juliet argues with a parent about marrying Paris “Proud I can never be of what I hate”. In that era, children had no other choice other than listening to their parents. By “Hate”, Juliet means Paris, implicitly, as she and Romeo married recently and she doesn`t want to betray Romeo, but just be with him. This created a feeling that Juliet isn`t a common girl of that era, but childish and too privileged, who doesn`t know how to speak with older people and behave next to them. At the same time, we can see Capulet`s anger, who has more rights and privileges, who shows three stages of anger: “It makes me mad”, showing that refusing is not what he was waiting for and empathises everyone`s attention on his mood, which implies that he always used to get what he wanted do and there were no cases of frustration and disappointment. Then he told Juliet to “Speak not; Reply not; Do not answer me” which explicitly shoes his character and ‘love’ to Juliet, but moreover shows that parents control their children, which contrasts very much with a earlier of play when Capulet REFUSED to Paris about marriage telling that “My child yet a stranger in this world”, suggesting that she is too young and not ready for marriage, that she didn`t know how this world works and sets the reader`s mind into positive way, because we thought that he is a good parent, who wants the best for his daughter, which makes the reader feel good for Juliet that she has father who cares about her. The third peak of anger we can see by Capulet is when he starts swearing to Juliet, clearly showing disgust and anger towards “yet a stranger”. By saying “hang thee, young baggage, disobedient wretch” Shakespeare wants to contrast Capulet's manner towards children from his era to our era, which is completely different and changed a lot through time. Noun “baggage” shows a complete peak of his anger and in a combination with a tricolon, separated by commas, Shakespeare completely changes our mind and thought towards Capulet and how good he treats Juliet. Also, “disobedient wretch” clearly shows Capulets wish never to speak to Juliet again as he calls her a poor creature which will hurt anyone, especially young girl. This tricolon of feelings shows how easy it is for Lord Capulet to change the mood and how he can speak with his child, giving a reader a thought of nervous relationship in the family which links to the idea of money because usually, more poor people has a better relationship with their parent.
The way Lord Capulet speaks to Juliet is binary opposite to how Juliet speaks to him: she tries to speak polite and gentle, “But thankful even for hate that is meant, love”. Oxymoron “hate that is meant love” created a nervous atmosphere in the reader`s head because of their relationships and rights at that time, allowed parents to do anything with a child, however, the child must behave well and listen to parents. Juliet shows respect to her father be “thankful” and showing a reader the fact that she still likes him no matter his wish and empathises her love towards Romeo. In this quote “love” is suggested to be Capulet`s own choice and attention he pays to Juliet, because of the era when parents don`t even need to ask permission of the child. Later on, when Juliet apologises to her father, she said: “Good father, I Beseech on my knees” showing to the reader that she wants to save a relationship and makes the ‘first step’. Firstly, she calls Lord Capulet “Good father”, contrasting to what he is true: angry, greedy and childish in some way. However, Juliet made a binary opposition now, by beseeching “on her knees”, showing trust to her parents, especially her father who ‘honored’ Juliet to marry Paris. This shows her close relationship with parents and wants to save them. By apologising in front of her father, we can suggest that Juliet realised all consequences of the situation and made us think of her “wise” plan of ‘killing’ herself; it also shows that she isn`t a typical child of that era, who won`t apologise like that, but still shows a bit of typical child who will be obligated to say sorry somehow.The way Lord Capulet speaks to Juliet is binary opposite to how Juliet speaks to him: she tries to speak polite and gentle, “But thankful even for hate that is meant love”. Oxymoron “hate that is meant love” created a nervous atmosphere in the reader`s head because of their relationships and rights at that time, allowed parents to do anything with a child, however, the child must behave well and listen to parents. Juliet shows respect to her father be “thankful” and showing a reader the fact that she still likes him no matter his wish and empathises her love towards Romeo. In this quote “love” is suggested to be Capulet`s own choice and attention he pays to Juliet, because of the era when parents don`t even need to ask permission of the child. Later on, when Juliet apologises to her father, she said: “Good father, I Beseech on my knees” showing to the reader that she wants to save relationship and makes the ‘first step’. Firstly, she calls Lord Capulet “Good father”, contrasting to what he is indeed: angry, greedy and childish in some way. However, Juliet made a binary opposition now, by beseeching “on her knees”, showing trust to her parents, especially her father who ‘honored’ Juliet to marry Paris. This shows her close relationship with parents and wants to save them. By apologising in front of her father, we can suggest that Juliet realised all consequences of the situation and made us think of her “wise” plan of ‘killing’ herself; it also shows that she isn`t a typical child of that era, who won`t apologise like that, but still shows a bit of typical child who will be obligated to say sorry somehow.
Last edited by Dmitrii; 11 months ago
a.frh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Quick disclaimer; I'm not a teacher, but I studied Rand J at GCSE last year and got a 9, so I might be able to help a little bit!
Your analysis of how capulet and Juliet speak to one another is good; good use of quotes, you back your points up well with them. You made it clear the expected power dynamic between parent and child in Shakespearian times-- well done! But I would argue that Juliet does know how to speak to her parents (she speaks properly to lady capulet earlier); the unusual part is what she's saying (refusing her father's orders), not how she's saying it.
However, I would be careful using the opening fight (act once scene one, by the way- not the prologue!) as an example. They're not super important characters, and there's no real indication of a generation gap in between Sampson and Gregory-- there's disrespect, but not really because of adult vs youth, just because they're rival families. I would recommend maybe looking at Romeo's relationship with Friar Lawrence, instead, or how Friar Lawrence and Lord Capulet are different in their views towards the youth?
Good Luck! Feel free to ask anything else if you'd like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (377)
52.73%
No (338)
47.27%

Watched Threads