Priti Patel urged to respond to bullying claims

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
To be honest the most troubling aspect of this case is not so much the fact that this woman and her party are downplaying (or simply ignoring) these very serious allegations but going out on the offensive themselves and saying her behaviour is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to deal with the service.
Never mind some of the comments from the various tory fan boys who are applauding this disgraceful treatment of a senior public servant by this little Napoleon.

Home Secretary Priti Patel is facing pressure to respond to bullying allegations made by the former top civil servant in her department.
Sir Philip Rutnam, the Home Office's most senior official, resigned on Saturday citing a "vicious and orchestrated" campaign against him.
Labour's Sir Keir Starmer said Ms Patel must come to Parliament to "explain".
Ms Patel, who has not publicly responded to Sir Philip's claims, previously denied she mistreated staff.
In his statement, Sir Philip said he received allegations that Ms Patel's conduct towards employees included "swearing, belittling people, making unreasonable and repeated demands".

He said he now intended to take legal action against the Home Office on the basis of constructive dismissal.
Ms Patel, who has rejected newspaper reports about the claims, did not publicly comment on Sir Philip's statement.

Labour leadership contender Sir Keir said: "The home secretary has a duty to come to Parliament on Monday to explain the allegations made about her own conduct."
He also called for the head of the civil service, Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill, to start "an immediate investigation" into the circumstances surrounding Sir Philip's departure.
"There are now urgent questions that must be answered and steps that need to be taken," he added.

Meanwhile, shadow Cabinet Office minister Jon Trickett called on the prime minister himself to make a statement.
And the former head of the civil service, Lord Kerslake, suggested that the home secretary would have to resign if Sir Philip wins his legal action.
According to BBC correspondent Iain Watson, allies of Ms Patel are privately suggesting that Sir Philip was not up to the demands of the job.
The Home Office has to deliver on two key election pledges - recruiting more police officers and swiftly introducing a new, post-Brexit immigration system.
Asked if the prime minister had full confidence in Ms Patel, a Downing Street source said Mr Johnson had full confidence in his cabinet.
Sir Mark thanked Sir Philip for his "long and dedicated career of public service" and said he received the resignation "with great regret".
He said Shona Dunn, who had been Mr Rutnam's deputy, will become acting permanent secretary.

Sir Philip's departure, and the manner of it, goes way beyond any normal policy problems or clashes.
He took aim not just at Priti Patel, but alluded to what he said was a "wider pattern" in government.
Add this to the resignation of Sajid Javid, the former chancellor who expressed concerns about how the government is behaving, there is mounting evidence of unhappiness with how Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his team are running things.
Certainly it is a government in a hurry, willing to rattle cages in order to get things done.
But governments who want to get things done need an effective civil service to make things happen. A very public breakdown in trust like this does not help that cause.
Indications at this early stage are that Ms Patel's position is secure. But with an employment tribunal in the offing, pressure may well build in the coming weeks.
If Sir Philip pursues his case as he says he will, exactly what happened behind closed doors may soon be out there for all to see.
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So she should be. Nobody even a senior MP, should be above bullying.
If nothing said sends out the wrong messages in my opinion.
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Facing pressure from the Labour party, the BBC and the Guardian. Other than that, nobody cares about any of this. They always say that, 'there are calls', 'there is mounting pressure', 'it is claimed that', 'what would you say to those who', what they really mean is 'what do you have to say to us'.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Other than that, nobody cares about any of this.
I'd say that the general public cares about bullying. At least, I certainly do.

I'll pose a simple yes or no question to you (no justification necessary): do you not care about the alleged claims of rampant bullying within the government?
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'll pose a simple yes or no question to you (no justification necessary): do you not care about the alleged claims of rampant bullying within the government?
To make it a simple answer... No.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Civil servants with wishy washy degrees not relevant to their field and hanging on to power for years should be challenged, glad she is taking action
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He made the statement on Saturday morning, it is now Sunday. People don't typically work weekend.
Eboracum7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Civil servants with wishy washy degrees not relevant to their field and hanging on to power for years should be challenged, glad she is taking action
What? Literally anyone would have more of a clue than freaking Priti Patel.

Clearly you must know a lot about the Civil Service to make such claims?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
What makes you think they have 'wishy washy' degrees? Given that near enough all of them are infinitely more qualified than every single politician, especially Patel who by all accounts is little more than a shiftless lay about when it comes to her career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads