last chemistry question on this thread

Watch
AnonymousUser_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
can someone explain this?

I can describe the trends in how atomic number and number of electron shells vary down a group and across a period

referring to nucleus?
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What is the question? Which thread?

Could you copy and paste the question?
AnonymousUser_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
What is the question? Which thread?

Could you copy and paste the question?
thats the question
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by AnonymousUser_)
thats the question
Oh, I didn't realise. In your post, the sentence doesn't make sense and it's very confusing.
The "I can" makes it sound as if you can do that part of a question but not the rest.
(Original post by AnonymousUser_)
can someone explain this?

I can describe the trends in how atomic number and number of electron shells vary down a group and across a period

referring to nucleus?
I'll take the question to be:
"Describe the trends in how atomic number and number of electron shells vary down a group and across a period, referring to the nucleus."

By looking at the periodic table, you can see the atomic numbers. For down a group (a column) and across a period (row), you should be able to see how the atomic numbers change.
The atomic number is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom, so as the atomic number (or 'proton number') increases, the number of protons in the nucleus increase, and vice versa.

As the number of protons in the nucleus increases, the number of electrons in the electron shells also increase (because an atom has no charge overall, so the +1 charges from each proton must be balanced out by the -1 charges of each electron). Since only a certain number of electrons can be held in each shell, this means the number of electron shells ('atomic radius') will also increase.

Does this help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56.1%
I don't have everything I need (252)
43.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise