Struggling with gym (muscle building)

Watch
jonjo4321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Whenever I go to the gym, I’ll complete like 2 full exercises (e.g bench press, inclined dumbbell press) for 3 sets of 10 each, but after that I’ll be really fatigued and my muscles will be weak and saw (I do them with good form btw). So when I have like 5 exercises still to complete it’s really hard. Anyone got advice? I’ve only been going a week so maybe it’ll improve
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jonjo4321)
Whenever I go to the gym, I’ll complete like 2 full exercises (e.g bench press, inclined dumbbell press) for 3 sets of 10 each, but after that I’ll be really fatigued and my muscles will be weak and saw (I do them with good form btw). So when I have like 5 exercises still to complete it’s really hard. Anyone got advice? I’ve only been going a week so maybe it’ll improve
A week is no time at all. Give it 6-8 weeks and keep a record.
Do you have a program to follow or looked at the stickies on this forum?
I know woody posted his general purpose routine.
If you cant manage it, then lower the weights or repetitions. It should be challenging but you should be able to finish.
As you go more often you will start to understand what is too much for your body.
There are tons of sites with programs.
jonjo4321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
A week is no time at all. Give it 6-8 weeks and keep a record.
Do you have a program to follow or looked at the stickies on this forum?
I know woody posted his general purpose routine.
If you cant manage it, then lower the weights or repetitions. It should be challenging but you should be able to finish.
As you go more often you will start to understand what is too much for your body.
There are tons of sites with programs.
Hi thanks a lot for the reply. so i researched programmes quite a bit and decided on a push pull legs split. i go 4 times a week. one exercise i've really been struggling with is shoulder press, especially after my 3/4 chest exercises. I just really struggle getting the strength in my triceps to lift it above my head, so I have to go really low (like 4/6kg)

although this is off topic, I was wondering if you had any advice for this. when I go to the gym at busy times, I find that the dumbbell weights I usually want (8 - 12kg) are nearly always being used, and when I ask them they always take ages. I can't go higher than that weight, and really don't want to go lower. is there anything I can really do about this? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads