The Student Room Group

NCS

Hi guys has anyone done NCS or planning to do it. I would like to now what its like.
Everyone's experience is different, but for me and my close friends, NCS was one of the best summers ever - especially considering it could have been our last together (It luckily wasn't).
In our first week, we spent our time at a large manor in woodlands, canoeing, abseiling (Down actual cliffs after an hour long walk), and what was our favourite; caving. Caving was amazing, crawling through tunnels to find massive waterfalls or seeing where it leads you, though this is subject to rainfall at the time.

For this week alone I would say go for it!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CharChar2106
Hi guys has anyone done NCS or planning to do it. I would like to now what its like.

Ah the very mention of NCS. I suddenly feel cold and it's as though a chill has descended around me.
I DESPISED NCS. I genuinely don't think I've wasted my time more in my life, but eh maybe I'm too cynical.

1. The organisation was frustrating and to be honest, appalling. No one knew what was going on. All of the team leaders were either year 13, or 1st/2nd year uni students who were clearly just in it for the money. I doubt they had any experience with leading young people. My particular leader did not give a sh*t, and therefore didn't get us to do any of the community projects or challenges which ruined the point. When the leader has no authority and isn't interested, nobody is.
2. I have never spent so much time sitting around doing NOTHING. I literally do not recall being so bored in my life. In short, we had 4 days to make a poster, and we did this after one day so spent the rest of our time sitting on the floor not allowed to leave. I started making excused to leave by the second week like ah I need to go to the dentist, ah my dad needs to get me now.
3. The 'adventure' week involved about three activities that would have impressed an 8 year old (low ropes, trampoline and kayaking), and yet again, the rest of the time was spent sitting around doing nothing. I've done quite a lot of the adventurous activities through scouts so maybe my standards were too high but this was shockingly bad (don't get me started on the food).
4. There were quite a few people on my 'wave' who had challenging behaviour or special needs. No one was equipped to deal with this, and it made the experience even more hectic.

The only thing it was good for was ticking off the residential on my Gold DofE! Sorry if I've put a downer on it, but unless you are an extreme extrovert who gets above average enjoyment from talking to literally anyone, or you are never normally allowed out of your house then it is abominable. I wouldn't even wish the experience on my enemies. You will get FAR more from spending a couple of weeks volunteering during the summer, and spending quality time with your friends.
That's my 5 pence worth:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by CharChar2106

Hey 👋

NCS is a 4 phase experience, each phase differs from the other.

In your first phase, you’ll meet new people and nurture your adventurous side. Whether you take on the high ropes, wild waves, or scale a wall, but it differs depending on where you are based. In your second phase, you'll receive a crash course in adulting and pick up skills to set you up for life.
In your third phase, you’ll have the opportunity to use your voice and have a lasting impact by delivering your very own social action project within your teams. And finally, phase four, you get to celebrate at graduation 😃 Check out the video below for some inspo.

I've left some other videos below for you to hopefully help any questions you may have, if not feel free to pop us a message on our main thread. 👇

[*]Typical day at NCS?
[*]What sort of people do you meet on NCS?
[*]Best thing about NCS?
[*]NCS in one word?

Thanks

Sam 🦒
Reply 4
Original post by hannahgeo123
Ah the very mention of NCS. I suddenly feel cold and it's as though a chill has descended around me.
I DESPISED NCS. I genuinely don't think I've wasted my time more in my life, but eh maybe I'm too cynical.

1. The organisation was frustrating and to be honest, appalling. No one knew what was going on. All of the team leaders were either year 13, or 1st/2nd year uni students who were clearly just in it for the money. I doubt they had any experience with leading young people. My particular leader did not give a sh*t, and therefore didn't get us to do any of the community projects or challenges which ruined the point. When the leader has no authority and isn't interested, nobody is.
2. I have never spent so much time sitting around doing NOTHING. I literally do not recall being so bored in my life. In short, we had 4 days to make a poster, and we did this after one day so spent the rest of our time sitting on the floor not allowed to leave. I started making excused to leave by the second week like ah I need to go to the dentist, ah my dad needs to get me now.
3. The 'adventure' week involved about three activities that would have impressed an 8 year old (low ropes, trampoline and kayaking), and yet again, the rest of the time was spent sitting around doing nothing. I've done quite a lot of the adventurous activities through scouts so maybe my standards were too high but this was shockingly bad (don't get me started on the food).
4. There were quite a few people on my 'wave' who had challenging behaviour or special needs. No one was equipped to deal with this, and it made the experience even more hectic.

The only thing it was good for was ticking off the residential on my Gold DofE! Sorry if I've put a downer on it, but unless you are an extreme extrovert who gets above average enjoyment from talking to literally anyone, or you are never normally allowed out of your house then it is abominable. I wouldn't even wish the experience on my enemies. You will get FAR more from spending a couple of weeks volunteering during the summer, and spending quality time with your friends.
That's my 5 pence worth:wink:

Hey, hannahgeo123.

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way about your NCS experience, we take all feedback very seriously. Did you fill out your feedback form at the end of your NCS? If not we're happy for you to drop us a DM with feedback.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Sam 🦒
Original post by NCS
Hey, hannahgeo123.

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way about your NCS experience, we take all feedback very seriously. Did you fill out your feedback form at the end of your NCS? If not we're happy for you to drop us a DM with feedback.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Sam 🦒

I would have filled out the feedback form if the mentor hadn't thrown them out saying we didn't need to do them. Maybe it has improved since I did mine in 2017, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Reply 6
Original post by hannahgeo123
I would have filled out the feedback form if the mentor hadn't thrown them out saying we didn't need to do them. Maybe it has improved since I did mine in 2017, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Hey,

We're sorry you feel that way about NCS, if you would like to leave us some feedback about your experience please feel free to drop us a DM.

Thanks

Sam 🦒
hi guys... im going on the NCS trip tomorrow, im very nervous and read a lot of complaints such as no wifi - which id like to call my parents in the evening and the food isnt great and the choice of people your put with isnt very good... can anyone tell me what their experience was like? im just a bit nervous and dont know what to expect because ive read a lot of peoples different mixed emotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending