The Student Room Group

What would you do?

Hello. I am 24 years old. I have £200,000 savings. I am still in university. I will be starting a postgraduate course this September. So I will be in university for 1 - 2 more years. I don't know what I will do after that. Should I invest this money? If so, how? Where do I start? Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
How did you save 200k if you don't mind me asking?

I'd probably invest in a property.
Reply 2
Original post by angelike1
How did you save 200k if you don't mind me asking?

I'd probably invest in a property.

Most is inheritance and some is savings working weekends.
Original post by User23x
Most is inheritance and some is savings working weekends.

wow lucky you
spend it on sweets
Original post by User23x
Hello. I am 24 years old. I have £200,000 savings. I am still in university. I will be starting a postgraduate course this September. So I will be in university for 1 - 2 more years. I don't know what I will do after that. Should I invest this money? If so, how? Where do I start? Thank you.

Send it to me instead, I'll take care of it better.
Yes you should invest it.
Start of by speaking to a financial planner, who can run through all the options for you.
Original post by User23x

Investment- in the stock market- should really be for the long term (10 years plus). If you are going to need the money in a shorter timescale then you should be thinking about saving rather than investing, otherwise you risk being in a depressed market like we have at the moment just when you need the money. You would risk getting back less than you put in.
Reply 8
Original post by ReadingMum
Investment- in the stock market- should really be for the long term (10 years plus). If you are going to need the money in a shorter timescale then you should be thinking about saving rather than investing, otherwise you risk being in a depressed market like we have at the moment just when you need the money. You would risk getting back less than you put in.

A lot of people suggest investing now because the stock market is down due to coronavirus. Problem is, I don't know where to start! Do I open an account online and just 'buy stock'? Which stock?
Original post by Karisa96
Yes you should invest it.
Start of by speaking to a financial planner, who can run through all the options for you.

If going down this route it should be an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) not a planner.
Original post by User23x
A lot of people suggest investing now because the stock market is down due to coronavirus. Problem is, I don't know where to start! Do I open an account online and just 'buy stock'? Which stock?

Now is not the time to buy stocks: it would take a brave person to invest at this point. We're nowhere near the bottom yet.

If you have £200k to invest then I suggest you take some professional advice from an IFA, rather than canvas TSR. Much as I love it, it's really not the place to find sensible answers to things like this :smile:
Buy up agricultural land, that is a finite commodity.

Quick Reply

Latest