lashtchykr10896
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I currently do Maths, History and Economics at A-Level. I'm in Year 12 now and I'm just curious what to do at university. I've been told by my UCAS adviser that it's good to look at degrees now and book open days etc but I'm very unsure on what to do.

I wanted to do Economics at university but I believe I'll be bored as I'm not finding it as fun and interesting as I wanted to, maybe due to the poor teachers? I have a feeling it could be much better at university but if I'm not fond of it now, I don't know what it'll be like at university.

I'm aiming to go to a nice Russell Group university but just unsure of the degree I could do. Any advice and help would be nice, thanks.
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You can do economics as a join honours program in a variety of subjects at different universities. Just look through different degree programs and decide which one suits you best. Pick one with career prospects that interest you, but also make sure it’s one you wouldn’t get fed up with studying.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Have you looked at PPE? Thats pretty broad degree and always looks very interesting to me. How much do you like maths and how good at it are you? Might maths plus something be of interest?

You could always read a university textbook for economics - just the first few chapters - to get a feel of whether it is of more interest, or less interest than the A level.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Given you are taking Maths and History you could take almost anything except medical subjects. This could include Economics, Accountancy, Law, Computer Science, Engineering, Journalism etc. I would suggest visiting an open day as soon as possible and go on subject talks including Economics to help you decide.
Other subjects you could consider are Maths, Statistics, History, Politics, Philosophy, Sociology, Criminology, Social Work etc. You have loads of choices and the only person who can really make this decision is you as we dont know you well enough to advise you. What one might love might be another person's pet hate.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 10 months ago
Levi.-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Given you are taking Maths and History you could take almost anything except medical subjects. This could include Economics, Accountancy, Law, Computer Science, Engineering, Journalism etc. I would suggest visiting an open day as soon as possible and go on subject talks including Economics to help you decide.
Other subjects you could consider are Maths, Statistics, History, Politics, Philosophy, Sociology, Criminology, Social Work etc. You have loads of choices and the only person who can really make this decision is you as we dont know you well enough to advise you. What one might love might be another person's pet hate.
lack of further maths/physics really limits them for maths/engineering and computer science courses at top universities.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
lack of further maths/physics really limits them for maths/engineering and computer science courses at top universities.
also lack of further maths limits them for economics at Oxbridge/LSE severely too
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
also lack of further maths limits them for economics at Oxbridge/LSE severely too
OP has not suggested Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial and the fact is nearly every Russell Group will accept applications for Economics and Computer Science without them. There are RG universities and others who will accept you for Economics and Computer Science without A level Maths but with Maths and without FM will hardly affect their abilities to get into RG universities.

Engineering will in some cases be affected by a lack of Physics but there will be many Engineering courses that wont require Physics or FM. In terms of Maths courses there are about half a dozen universities that will require FM but the others dont.

The world doesnt start and end with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE. There are 20 others most of whom will accept OP based on the advice given.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
OP has not suggested Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial and the fact is nearly every Russell Group will accept applications for Economics and Computer Science without them. There are RG universities and others who will accept you for Economics and Computer Science without A level Maths but with Maths and without FM will hardly affect their abilities to get into RG universities.

Engineering will in some cases be affected by a lack of Physics but there will be many Engineering courses that wont require Physics or FM. In terms of Maths courses there are about half a dozen universities that will require FM but the others dont.

The world doesnt start and end with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE. There are 20 others most of whom will accept OP based on the advice given.
Yeah fair enough I generally assume people are atleast aiming for these unis and build their profile around them and then consider unis lower down, oh well
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Have a look at UCL's BASc in Arts and Sciences.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Here are a few examples you need Maths but not further Maths

Exeter for Computer Science AAA - AAB
GCE AL Maths grade B Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths
Bristol for Economics
A*AA including Mathematics
Southampton for Maths
AAA or AABB including Mathematics (minimum grade A)
Birmingham for Civil Engineering
AAB
To include A level Mathematics
Leeds for Computer Science
A-level: AAA including Mathematics or Computing. Grade B (6) or above in GCSE Mathematics is required if no Mathematics A-level is taken.
Warwick for Economics
A*AA to include A in Mathematics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads