Halmclaren
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I’m currently at Shiplake college and doing well there. I’ve looked around at other schools and been offered a scholarship at Abingdon as well as a place. I have also been offered a conditional scholarship where I am currently at. I’ve been debating whether to move or not because Abingdon is viewed as a much more academic school unlike where I currently am. It’s a question of being a big fish in a small pond (at Shiplake) or being a small fish in a big Pond (if I go to Abingdon I will not be so near the top in the year academically). I am looking to go into engineering and want to take maths, physics, chemistry and possibly design tech as a forth option. Any help with choosing would be much appreciated!
hilary08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Halmclaren)
Hi,
I’m currently at Shiplake college and doing well there. I’ve looked around at other schools and been offered a scholarship at Abingdon as well as a place. I have also been offered a conditional scholarship where I am currently at. I’ve been debating whether to move or not because Abingdon is viewed as a much more academic school unlike where I currently am. It’s a question of being a big fish in a small pond (at Shiplake) or being a small fish in a big Pond (if I go to Abingdon I will not be so near the top in the year academically). I am looking to go into engineering and want to take maths, physics, chemistry and possibly design tech as a forth option. Any help with choosing would be much appreciated!
Hi! I definitely think that you should consider maybe visiting Abingdon (also weird I live near there lol) and seeing whether you feel like you would fit in there. Because regardless of academic status you should go where you’d enjoy it more because you’ll work harder. But on the other hand, from a black and white point of view, Abingdon might be a better option as it seems that you may be challenged more academically which will naturally push you to work harder and succeed. Although depending on you as a person, the fact that it’s academically challenging could also mean too much pressure so maybe see which environment will give you a better work ethic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.19%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.45%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.68%

Watched Threads