Stanza03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Obviously everyone is going to LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford or Cambridge but any other good universities for law and does where you go for law really matter in all honesty.

I'm asking because I've recently come to terms I will literally never get into any of those university so I settled with University of Westminster, University of Law, Nottingham Trent, University of Portsmouth, University of Edge Hill and Manchester Metropolitan. These universities entry requirements are like BBB - BBC which is way more archivable for me (currently working at BCC in college)

Westminster is what I'm aiming for currently but from reading some posts people seem to dislike Westminster to which is conflicting my feelings on it, I'm going to the open day soon so I'll keep updated I guess.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xlizzy)
Obviously everyone is going to LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford or Cambridge but any other good universities for law and does where you go for law really matter in all honesty.

I'm asking because I've recently come to terms I will literally never get into any of those university so I settled with University of Westminster, University of Law, Nottingham Trent, University of Portsmouth, University of Edge Hill and Manchester Metropolitan. These universities entry requirements are like BBB - BBC which is way more archivable for me (currently working at BCC in college)

Westminster is what I'm aiming for currently but from reading some posts people seem to dislike Westminster to which is conflicting my feelings on it, I'm going to the open day soon so I'll keep updated I guess.
If you want to do a degree in Law because it interests you as a subject, there is nothing wrong with going to a uni like Westminster. If you wish to become a solicitor, however, you will be limited in the firms you can apply to with grades like BBC. The grades you achieve are more important than the uni you attend, because lots of Law firms have minimum A level requirements:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/la...ction-criteria
Maarilyn.__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey which University of Law, because I got into the one in London Bloomsbury
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Where you study does matter, but the degree to which it matters depends on the university in question and your ambitions and interests. None of the universities you've mentioned are 'good' by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, and they are certainly not comparable to Oxbridge etc.

With these universities, a lot will come down to mundane things like location, cost of living, etc.
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maarilyn.__)
Hey which University of Law, because I got into the one in London Bloomsbury
I was think about London Bloomsbury one. How did you apply for that campus and how are going to find accomodation cause I don't think University of Law have set accommodations like other universities
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
If you want to do a degree in Law because it interests you as a subject, there is nothing wrong with going to a uni like Westminster. If you wish to become a solicitor, however, you will be limited in the firms you can apply to with grades like BBC. The grades you achieve are more important than the uni you attend, because lots of Law firms have minimum A level requirements:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/la...ction-criteria
I'm not saying I'm going to do minimum amount of work to get BBC I'm still going to try but I'd rather apple to those kind of universities than apply to UCL with a predicted grades of BBB that won't even get me an interview, automatic rejection.

If I end up getting like ABB (which I'm aiming for) I'm happy with that and most firms listed there accept ABB but again it is preferable NOT requirement and if I get on or above a 2:1 at uni it won't really matter but who knows... 🤷*♀️

And I wanna be a barrister, so would that effect my choice of university
Last edited by Stanza03; 4 weeks ago
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by J Papi)
Where you study does matter, but the degree to which it matters depends on the university in question and your ambitions and interests. None of the universities you've mentioned are 'good' by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, and they are certainly not comparable to Oxbridge etc.

With these universities, a lot will come down to mundane things like location, cost of living, etc.
See it's people like who make college students stress so hard about going to universities that are literally way out of their capability.

I know my limits and how far I can go, my limit is definitely not top university level so I'm going for some universities that I like.

If I end up getting a 1st in Westminster and someone from Oxford got a 2:2 would my degree from Westminster out weigh there's because from you ideology it seems like.it since they went to Oxford it out weights everyone else's who didn't.

Top universities student seem like they have added weight of mental and physical stress rather than students form normal universities, I'm honestly not here for it.
Maarilyn.__
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was think about London Bloomsbury one. How did you apply for that campus and how are going to find accomodation cause I don't think University of Law have set accommodations like other universities
Ooooh okay it's hard because they just show apartment when i search it. which University of Law did you get accepted to?
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maarilyn.__)
Ooooh okay it's hard because they just show apartment when i search it. which University of Law did you get accepted to?
AHH I'm first year college student sorry... Do they ask you which campus to apply to or they just randomly allocate it to you
Maarilyn.__
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohh sozz no you can selected which campus you want
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
See it's people like who make college students stress so hard about going to universities that are literally way out of their capability.

I know my limits and how far I can go, my limit is definitely not top university level so I'm going for some universities that I like.

If I end up getting a 1st in Westminster and someone from Oxford got a 2:2 would my degree from Westminster out weigh there's because from you ideology it seems like.it since they went to Oxford it out weights everyone else's who didn't.

Top universities student seem like they have added weight of mental and physical stress rather than students form normal universities, I'm honestly not here for it.
The first sentence made no sense.

It's fine not to aim high - your grades would never have gotten you in, and you don't seem to have the work ethic - but I was surprised as to why you even mentioned and compare the two.

It's actually more likely, from the data on degree classifications that we have on offer, that a Westminster student will graduate with a 2.2 than an Oxford student. Only around 5-6% of BA Juris graduates are awarded one, and the graduating cohort from that uni is fairly small (~200 p.a.). You will very rarely be competing against an Oxford 2.2 in the legal world.

I've got no idea as to what you're referring to by my 'ideology'. You're either confusing me for another poster or are coming up with ad homs one post in.

To reiterate my point: how good any of these universities are depends on what you want to get out of them. But they're, in general, not amazing places to be. A university can help you indirectly in several areas (whether it's by doing tonnes of employer-oriented events, allowing you to spend time with and around respected researchers, offering the right extracurriculars, or even giving you the chance to be friends with bright & ambitious people), and the ones you're looking for won't do any of these very well (quite the contrary).

And I wanna be a barrister, so would that effect my choice of university
You'll need to pay more attention to basic mistakes in your written English if you want to practice law ('affect' rather than 'effect', etc.)

Best thing for you to do is check up on alumni profiles (are any alumni practising at the Bar? if so, where? what does their CV look like) and recent pupil/tenant profiles on chambers' websites. The events run by the law department/law society at each university (moots, etc.) will also matter. Though I maintain that there will very likely be zero or close-to-zero difference between any of these unis.
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The world of law is incredibly competitive. Far more competitive than, with all due respect, it appears that you seem to appreciate. To become a lawyer or barrister who is in good, stable employment, then you will need to prove yourself worthy, because being a barrister is not an easy job. The issue is simply that there are far too many people getting law degrees and not enough pupillages/training contracts available. As a result, you are going to need to out-compete a fair amount of people and frankly there are just so many people out there who have 2:1/first class degrees from unis that are better than the ones you're applying to.

As a general rule, I would say that you are unlikely to be able to get a good pupillage if you don't have at least a 2:1 from a Russell Group. It is perhaps a bit harsh but you really need to understand how cutthroat the competition is. You don't need to go to Oxbridge, LSE, Durham or UCL in order to find good employment, but realistically, if you want to become a barrister at a decent firm, you will have to aim higher than you currently are.

My recommendation for you is to have a look at the University of Liverpool's law course (or similar RG unis). It is (if I recall correctly) only ABB, which, provided you put in plenty of work, should be within your capabilities. It's not as good as the rest of the RG, granted, but it will probably present you with more opportunities than Westminster.
Last edited by Mikos; 4 weeks ago
Stanza03
Rep:
?
okay nevermind I'm actually done with this thread... I know it's childish but I've talked to many solicitors and barristers, they all agreed that where you doesn't really but you have all just made me even more conflicted about it.

honestly crush a poor girls dream like that thank you all very much. I know I'm not going to be the smartest person in the world with law but I honestly ****ing love the subject but you have all just completely crushed it, I was already feeling self conscious about my ability but now I realised there literally isn't any hope if I don't go to a RG uni. so thank you, hope you all have a good night
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okay nevermind I'm actually done with this thread... I know it's childish but I've talked to many solicitors and barristers, they all agreed that where you doesn't really but you have all just made me even more conflicted about it.

honestly crush a poor girls dream like that thank you all very much. I know I'm not going to be the smartest person in the world with law but I honestly ****ing love the subject but you have all just completely crushed it, I was already feeling self conscious about my ability but now I realised there literally isn't any hope if I don't go to a RG uni. so thank you, hope you all have a good night
You asked a question. We answered. There is really no point in trying to guilt trip people who have gone out of their way to share information with you to help you make an informed decision about your future. If you weren't prepared to accept an answer other than "yes, going to Westminster will make it easy for you to become a barrister", then why ask the question?
It would be incredibly cruel of us to lie to you, and thus allow you to make a decision which would render you in a difficult position to find the kind of employment you're looking for. It is far better for you to hear now that those universities will not be good places to go to if you want to become a barrister, rather than in 4 years time when you've finished your studies.
As aforementioned, if you're studying law out of interest, then by all means, go to whichever uni you'd like. However, the reality of the situation is that if you want to become a barrister then you should consider better universities than the ones you're currently considering.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It says a lot that you reported and tried to take down posts that were helpful. The combo of mediocre academics, chippiness, and not being open to advice is lethal for someone in your position.
Last edited by J Papi; 4 weeks ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Listen to these people and take their advice, both Harrys and J Papi have experience in the area and know what they're talking about.

To say firm's A-level requirements are a 'preference' and 'don't really matter' is seriously underestimating the competition you'll face. I'm currently working towards a first and still struggling to get places on vacation schemes due to my shoddy pre-uni course. I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but you should definitely be more realistic about your prospects.
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by J Papi)
It says a lot that you reported and tried to take down posts that were helpful. The combo of mediocre academics, chippiness, and not being open to advice is lethal for someone in your position.
nope only did it because I wanted the whole thread to come down... cause I cant delete my own threads
Stanza03
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Listen to these people and take their advice, both Harrys and J Papi have experience in the area and know what they're talking about.

To say firm's A-level requirements are a 'preference' and 'don't really matter' is seriously underestimating the competition you'll face. I'm currently working towards a first and still struggling to get places on vacation schemes due to my shoddy pre-uni course. I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but you should definitely be more realistic about your prospects.
not Harry she was nice about it but some of the others were just plain rude in my opinion
Last edited by Stanza03; 4 weeks ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
not Harry he was nice about it but some of the others were just plain rude in my opinion
Harrys is a woman

Aye, some people are more blunt than others but that doesn't make their advice any less valuable, don't let it put you off.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
To say firm's A-level requirements are a 'preference' and 'don't really matter' is seriously underestimating the competition you'll face.
Also, Crazy Jamie keeps reminding us of the importance placed on A-levels by chambers (and it doesn't seem to just be the London ones either)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (45)
47.37%
No, they should still go ahead (22)
23.16%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
29.47%

Watched Threads