Should I inform DVLA?

Watch
smarties04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
WhenI was applying for my provisional license I had accidentally said yes to needing eyesight correction so now my full license has a 01 code on it. I was on the DVLA website today helping my younger sister apply for a provisional license when I noticed you do not need to tell DVLA if you're long or short-sighted so technically I shouldn't have the 01 code on mine. Is this something I should get corrected or just let it be?

Just for reference, when I did my driving test I did not need to wear my glasses to read the number plate at the beginning of the test.
Last edited by smarties04; 4 weeks ago
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
01 means you have to wear glasses or contacts when driving, and if caught driving without them you could apparently (just Googled it, I assume it's true) get points and a fine.

So... yeah, I'd get rid of it if you don't actually need it. Or at least ring them up, and ask what you should do.
Talon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't bother, they won't do anything about it. I've been through it with them before. I used to need glasses and got my eyes fixed. I contacted them about changing it and they said there was no point.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Neilos)
01 means you have to wear glasses or contacts when driving, and if caught driving without them you could apparently (just Googled it, I assume it's true) get points and a fine.

So... yeah, I'd get rid of it if you don't actually need it. Or at least ring them up, and ask what you should do.
I agree
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"Just for reference, when I did my driving test I did not need to wear my glasses to read the number plate at the beginning of the test."

Get rid of it then, because like mentioned you could get done for driving without lenses/glasses in. Granted you'd have to be pulled over for this for most likely something unrelated, and then when they see your license they'll be like "hang on shouldn't you have glasses on?" - but it's not worth the risk. Everyone gets pulled over sometime even if it's just a random stop.

I actually don't have an 01 code on mine, despite the fact I cannot drive without glasses and wouldn't pass a number plate test without them. But that's the point, I wouldn't drive without them because if I get in a car I notice immediately if I haven't got them on and from experience of realising I'd forgotten them after walking 30 minutes to an instructor's house for a lesson 3 years ago (I now wear glasses all day every day, this was back when I didn't and only wore them when I needed to, as i'm slightly short sighted so it was easier to simply forget them) and realising I could "see" - but struggled to make out speed limit signs and directions, I know it's literally impossible for me to drive without them on, not even as just a matter of safety but because it is generally a painful experience.
Last edited by nevershear; 3 weeks ago
Talon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nevershear)
Get rid of it then, because like mentioned you could get done for driving without lenses/glasses in. Granted you'd have to be pulled over for this for most likely something unrelated, and then when they see your license they'll be like "hang on shouldn't you have glasses on?" - but it's not worth the risk. Everyone gets pulled over sometime even if it's just a random stop.
They would carry out a roadside eye test, not just slap you with points and a fine. You are not legally required to report corrected vision, or even a change in long or short sightedness that now requires correction.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Talon)
They would carry out a roadside eye test, not just slap you with points and a fine. You are not legally required to report corrected vision, or even a change in long or short sightedness that now requires correction.
Appreciate the additional info mate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads