How do I balance my school/gaming time?

Watch
producktive
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently really into Fortnite and it's taking over my studying time! I'm struggling to step away from the instant gratification and dopamine rush and I know it's gonna have an impact on me at some point. Any advice?
Advertisement
FAZE Phluid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
stop playing fortnite.

play better games.

get siege, get CSGO, the cycle is free on epic games.
just anything but fortnite.
producktive
Rep:
?
(Original post by FAZE Phluid)
stop playing fortnite.

play better games.

get siege, get CSGO, the cycle is free on epic games.
just anything but fortnite.
I've heard a lot of good about CSGO, it does sound a bit complicated tho. Is it similar to Fortnite?
Advertisement
FAZE Phluid
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:weirdchamp:

no
they're not similar
for 1 cs-go has none of that storm ****, WAY better gun play.
shorter rounds.

Its simultaneously much more difficult and way more simple.
you plant the bomb or kill everyone on terrorist team
stop the plant, diffuse or kill everyone on anti terrorist side

that is the primary game mode in CSGO.

its free. just play it.
producktive
Rep:
?
(Original post by FAZE Phluid)
:weirdchamp:

no
they're not similar
for 1 cs-go has none of that storm ****, WAY better gun play.
shorter rounds.

Its simultaneously much more difficult and way more simple.
you plant the bomb or kill everyone on terrorist team
stop the plant, diffuse or kill everyone on anti terrorist side

that is the primary game mode in CSGO.

its free. just play it.
I’m sold, definitely will play it
Advertisement
Golden Touch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha, I was in a simialr situation. I recently brought the game pass ultimate for £1 and have been playing a selection of games such as We Happy Few, Life is Strange 2 and Afterparty. Although, I also have taken quite a liking to fortnite after my younger brother showed it to me and told me to have a go (not the first time). I did, and I can say safely, that I actually really like it- especially save the world. To be honest, I only started playing because I saw some of the characters and thought their concept was really cool...I mean come on...Midas:crown: and A.C. Currently I am 17 (so close to 18!:bawling:) and close to finishing A levels, which means revision, revision, revision! I recently brought a calendar diary with dates, space to write on each date etc. I plan the night before what I am going to do at school (but for you, if you're doing GCSEs, plan the night before what your going to do at home.) and write it down in order in my diary, what time, specifically what I am going to do.

I normally split it like: Gaming time starts at anywhere between 8-9 pm, Before that, 'tis work my fellow friend!:ahee: For GCSEs I'd recommend do school normally- maybe fit in a little revision for a subject you need to work on at second break (or whichever break you are not eating) and when you get home, maybe start with half an hour of revision for a subject of your choice and then after maybe a week of consistency, bump it up to an hour. I'd definitely recommend a date diary though! Really helpful.

Good luck with your revision and gaming:cool:. Oh, and ignore the people who tell your fortnite is whack, I thought it was crap too- but mainly because of the community and the idea of a battle royale game, but I ended up enjoying it anyways. We all have different opinions so, if you like fortnite, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't. Additionally, the post stating 'play better games' doesn't help at all with your question. As an end note, don't be afraid to ask me to go into more detail or ask anything in general, I'm aware I was probably a bit rubbish at explaining.
Last edited by Golden Touch; 4 weeks ago
clueIxss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by producktive)
I’m sold, definitely will play it
Would recommend CS:GO for sure! It’s very different from Fortnite but it’s a very easy system to get used to.The community can get a little bit toxic, but that’s the same for all games I suppose... However, talking about more games you’re going to pick up isn’t helping with your time management!!!

I would recommend making a study timetable for each week. At the end of your school weeks, you should look at what you’ve got and when it’s due, as well as any revision you plan on doing (not sure how old you are/if you have exams this year). Plan when you’re going to do it and roughly how long you think it’ll take you. Try and get your work done ASAP when you get home (give yourself a bit of time to rest first), and no playing games before you start your work! I fall into this trap and it means I work waaaaaay past the time I said I’d start because it’s always “one more game...!” and then “oh dear, it’s 5:37 now and I said I’d start at 5:30.... I guess I’m starting at 6 now!” Try and stop gaming at least an hour before you go to bed to give your brain chance to wind down and do something a little more chilled. Hope this helps!
Advertisement
Reguken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Get off Fortnite mate, play anything other than that. I still play TF2 to this day and I'm still improving it, and there's a ton of community maps that don't get old. The community could be worse, but it's much less toxic that most multiplayers I've played.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Topic: Need help studying rather than being distracted by games

1 reply: Life story

Every other reply: Posturing about 'better' games

Every reply after this: Pointing out I didn't help.
Advertisement
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by producktive)
I'm currently really into Fortnite and it's taking over my studying time! I'm struggling to step away from the instant gratification and dopamine rush and I know it's gonna have an impact on me at some point. Any advice?
Stop to play addictive games like fortnite. These games distract you from important private things you have to do first before playing video games. If you can't stop to play fortnite, play this game at a period of time with a lot free time for yourself, the weekend for instance. On any other day, play a game you don't spend so much time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (239)
33.9%
No (466)
66.1%

Watched Threads