Does the UK have process servers like the USA does?

Watch
HurtOnAllLevels
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to be the person delivering lawsuits to people. Sounds like the most trolly job there is.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, the UK has process servers. I've been involved in cases where the legal documents have been served by a third party company. I have no idea what it is like to actually work for one though. The majority of proceedings and legal documents are served via other methods like post (still the most common in the County Court by some distance I expect) or email (for other jurisdictions that are more flexible when it comes to service of documents). My impression is that process servers are used when documents need to be served on a person who has proven to be a little tricky to track down, or where there is a concern that the person may try to be otherwise evasive when it comes to taking receipt of proceedings. I've had very little experience with them though. A solicitor that has either dealt with them or otherwise has more specific knowledge of them might be able to give more information. tiger999 perhaps.
HurtOnAllLevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Yes, the UK has process servers. I've been involved in cases where the legal documents have been served by a third party company. I have no idea what it is like to actually work for one though. The majority of proceedings and legal documents are served via other methods like post (still the most common in the County Court by some distance I expect) or email (for other jurisdictions that are more flexible when it comes to service of documents). My impression is that process servers are used when documents need to be served on a person who has proven to be a little tricky to track down, or where there is a concern that the person may try to be otherwise evasive when it comes to taking receipt of proceedings. I've had very little experience with them though. A solicitor that has either dealt with them or otherwise has more specific knowledge of them might be able to give more information. tiger999 perhaps.
I would like to be one and deliver a lawsuit to The Sun.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HurtOnAllLevels)
I would like to be one and deliver a lawsuit to The Sun.
Law of averages suggests that it probably wouldn't take you too long to fulfil that ambition.
HurtOnAllLevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Law of averages suggests that it probably wouldn't take you too long to fulfil that ambition.
Yeah, I want to see them collapse in my lifetime.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HurtOnAllLevels)
Yeah, I want to see them collapse in my lifetime.
You might not have to serve them with a lawsuit personally to achieve that. They just announced a £68 million loss for the last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads