Can I do a Sociology (Social Science) PGCE after doing a History degree?

Watch
96tillnow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently graduated with a History Degree and want to teach, but have gone off teaching History in secondary schools. I did sociology at A-level and loved it and would love to teach it, would I be able to do that after doing a degree in History?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 96tillnow)
I have recently graduated with a History Degree and want to teach, but have gone off teaching History in secondary schools. I did sociology at A-level and loved it and would love to teach it, would I be able to do that after doing a degree in History?
Hi

A good grade at A level will certainly help, the best way and obviously there are distinct crossovers between the two subjects. The best way to know is to contact training providers directly and ask them.

For personalised guidance and support, register with Get into Teaching using the link below or calling 0800 389 2500.

https://getintoteaching.education.go...SAAEgJc_vD_BwE

You will be assigned an adviser who is an experienced teacher who will help you with the application process.

Best of luck

Sue
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 96tillnow)
Usually universities will want at least 50% of your degree content to match the subject you are training to teach. The best way to find out if they would consider you is to send your degree transcript to ITT providers you are considering and asking how they would view your degree.

It's worth bearing in mind that most schools wouldn't be able to offer you a full timetable teaching sociology, and getting jobs in sixth form colleges can be quite tricky. It's very likely earlier on in your career you'd need to teach some history as well to make a full timetable. If you're not keen to do this at all, I'd consider looking at other options outside of teaching as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (275)
34.03%
No (533)
65.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise