The Student Room Group

Where should I get my first tattoo?

So I really want to get my first tattoo soon. I'm pretty set on what I want- it'd be the main character from the Dr Seuss book 'Oh, the Places You'll Go!'. I'm just not sure on where I should get it- I'm thinking either inner bicep or on the back of my arm just above my elbow, but I'm not 100% sure between them, or even if either one is the right place at all! I'm on a professional course at Uni, and it'd be ideal if it could be covered for when I go on placement, but I wouldn't really want it to be covered all the time! Any ideas?

p.s. I'm hoping pain won't be too much of an issue- I've got 12 piercings and none of them were too painful!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by moll_h
So I really want to get my first tattoo soon. I'm pretty set on what I want- it'd be the main character from the Dr Seuss book 'Oh, the Places You'll Go!'. I'm just not sure on where I should get it- I'm thinking either inner bicep or on the back of my arm just above my elbow, but I'm not 100% sure between them, or even if either one is the right place at all! I'm on a professional course at Uni, and it'd be ideal if it could be covered for when I go on placement, but I wouldn't really want it to be covered all the time! Any ideas?

Think really carefully about getting any tattoo. It's permanent, and even lasers don't totally get rid of them. Could you not just put on something that lasts a few months? Do remember that there are still lots of people who will judge you badly for having one. A few years ago I remember one American woman, from the South, remarking how a particularly positioned tattoo was known as a tramp stamp.
Reply 2
Original post by David Getling
Think really carefully about getting any tattoo. It's permanent, and even lasers don't totally get rid of them. Could you not just put on something that lasts a few months? Do remember that there are still lots of people who will judge you badly for having one. A few years ago I remember one American woman, from the South, remarking how a particularly positioned tattoo was known as a tramp stamp.

Thank you, but I'm well aware of the permanence of tattoos. I also understand that there will be a few people who will disapprove of my decision to get a tattoo, but I am not getting a tattoo to satisfy or provoke other people. I have have thought "really carefully" about this- the tattoo I want to get is actually from a book that was very important to my family when I was growing up. Additionally, if you had actually read the entirety of my question, you might realise that the location in which I am looking to get a tattoo is nowhere near the location in which tattoos are referred to as 'tramp stamps'. I appreciate that you may not agree with people getting tattoos and/or piercings, but if that is your opinion, maybe you shouldn't be lurking around on student forums about them.
If you're looking to hide a tattoo easily then don't go for your arms - this is an extremely visible area and you will regret it when it heavily limits your wardrobe in the summer.

Given that you still want to be able to see it I would recommend getting it on your leg. I've ten on my legs that most people in my day-to-day life aren't aware of!

Quick Reply

Latest