The Student Room Group

Eng Lit or History? - A-level options

So I'm about to start sixth form, but I'm stuck between my third option.

So far I've chosen: Computer science, Biology, and English Literature

However, I don't know whether to choose English or History! What are the benefits/cons of both? I haven't done history for GSCE but I was always interested in it. I'm super stuck.
Reply 1
I do both English Lit and History so maybe I can help!

If you're doing this option for the sole basis of developing essay techniques, I'd go with English, as it has a closer focus on essay technique.

However, if you're genuinely interested in each subject then here's my advice. Look at what units your college provides for each subject. You might love English, but hate your college's English course, and vice versa. Doing History at GCSE isn't necessary, a lot of people in my class didn't do History GCSE and they're getting along fine.

Ultimately, English and History are actually quite similar in terms of assessments and how you work. Look at what your college offers and decide which course you'd rather study.
I do English Lit and History having not done history GCSE, and I'd suggest doing English - doing Biology, you will already have a lot of content to learn, and Comput Sci will give you lots of coursework. Having a subject that it a gradual rather than a learning/cramming subject (as in you develop your technique as you go along rather than studying and then revising information). History was a bit of a shock to the system for me, because the essay technique is so different from English GCSE. Unless you're a lot more interested in history than in English, I'd definitely say go with English :smile: Hope it goes well! And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest