Newnham Essay Competition 2020- Classics

Watch
Majii1029384756
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I was just wandering, if anyone else is entering it and how are you finding it.
Spanishstarfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I entered MML
Last edited by Spanishstarfish; 8 months ago
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexandra.insz)
I entered MML
Good luck! I am so stressed though. Do you know when we will be getting our results? Also do you know, how many people usually enter the competition per subject?
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Majii1029384756)
Good luck! I am so stressed though. Do you know when we will be getting our results? Also do you know, how many people usually enter the competition per subject?
Not sure but I would guess a lot!
I was also trying to find this! I think it’s in July!
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexandra.insz)
Not sure but I would guess a lot!
I was also trying to find this! I think it’s in July!
Cool, thankss
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I really want to know the outcome now but I know it will be ageeees
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I entered the biological sciences one, I actually really enjoyed writing it (although it became a little stressful as the deadline neared). I think last year the winners were announced in late May/ early June. Good luck everyone!
Last edited by SudiT; 7 months ago
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
I entered the biological sciences one, I actually really enjoyed writing it (although it became a little stressful as the deadline neared). I think last year the winners were announced in late May/ early June. Good luck everyone!
That's amazing! Good luck to you too!
mpaprika
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I entered MML
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
I entered MML
That's so nice! What questions has everyone been answering?
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Majii1029384756)
That's so nice! What questions has everyone been answering?
I answered ''supposing everyone could speak English would learning other languages be a waste of time'', what about you?
SudiT
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I answered ' describe how organoids are being used to understand fundamental biology questions'. It seemed really difficult at the beginning but now I realise what a huge area of research it is. What about you?
SudiT
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I answered ''supposing everyone could speak English would learning other languages be a waste of time'', what about you?
Oh wow that seems really interesting. What was your argument?
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
Oh wow that seems really interesting. What was your argument?
I didn't have a main one, but I think the most important one was that the lingua franca was correlated with the economy and power, giving the example of Latin once being the lingua franca of the past and perhaps Chinese being the new one. My counter arguments were that learning languages increased motor abilities in developing children and that languages have so many idioms it's impossible to get a direct translation I also mentioned the ease of different grammar structures
Last edited by mpaprika; 7 months ago
SudiT
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn't have a main one, but I think the most important one was that the lingua franca was correlated with the economy and power, giving the example of Latin once being the lingua franca of the past and perhaps Chinese being the new one. My counter arguments were that learning languages was good motor abilities, developing children and that languages have so many idioms it's impossible to get a direct translation I also mentioned the ease of different grammar structures
Those are really fascinating points! Best of luck with the competition.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
Those are really fascinating points! Best of luck with the competition.
thanks! What were your arguments?
SudiT
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
thanks! What were your arguments?
I talked about how organoids are able to replicate the structures and functions of real organs, how they're being used in colon cancer research and also research into producing more specific drugs for cystic fibrosis patients. I also mentioned their potential in organ transplants and wider use in clinical research.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
I talked about how organoids are able to replicate the structures and functions of real organs, how they're being used in colon cancer research and also research into producing more specific drugs for cystic fibrosis patients. I also mentioned their potential in organ transplants and wider use in clinical research.
oh wow that sounds so much more interesting than mine:laugh: good luck!
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
That's so interesting! How did you find it? Mine was: "We know both a lot more and a lot less about Pompeii than we think. Could the same be said about Troy?"
Majii1029384756
Rep:
?
(Original post by SudiT)
That's incredible! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (452)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (555)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (277)
20.56%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (63)
4.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed