My income affecting my boyfriend's student loan.

Watch
EllsBells1994
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Evening all,

So I'm very confused and trying to help my boyfriend apply for student finance. He has been earning since he left school at 18 and is now 25. He has a place at uni this September as a mature student.

He's earning about 23k working full time but will be giving this up of course. We've also been living together for a year but prior to this he was living with his parents. I earn about 44k a year. We are not married but both named on the tenancy contract. I wouldn't consider myself supporting him as we for the most part share bills and rent equally.

We are considering him moving into halls for a number of reasons (I'm buying a house and "supporting" us both isn't going to work and it would be good for him to have the full uni experience.)

Since he is over 25 and we aren't married, do I have to include my income on the finance application even when I won't be supporting him at uni? I would argue we are "house mates" who happen to love each other (he would otherwise be living in a house share and presumably their income would be irrelevant) so my income shouldn't matter but I don't quite understand?

Thank you
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

If he is 25 before the 1st September, they will no longer ask for parents income. They will not include his current income on the form (although they will ask him to declare any money he gets from not working, for example, if he rented out a house etc). If you are living with him, you should declare your earnings, which will reduce his maintenance at that cost. I'd say he'd be looking at about 2/3 the amount available. I wouldn't think it would make a difference him moving to halls, as a spouse's income would still be included in this scenario. You may want to clarify with SFE if you are just living together.
Last edited by NeroliTenzing; 1 year ago
LeahOS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am in the same situation. I would like to move in with my partner but I can’t expect him to support me financially. Not sure what to do, did you find out anything in the end?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%