The Student Room Group

The effect of the coronavirus on exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by HurtOnAllLevels
True but it is nothing like as dangerous as say Spanish Flu was.

interestingly the fatality rate they suspect the coronavirus has (it's not official because they can't give anything official when there's still an outbreak) is actually very similar to the fatality rate of the outbreak of Spanish flu after the first world war. It's a bit strange because obviously it killed a LOT of people after the war so I guess a ridiculous amount of people must have been infected?
Reply 41
just in regards to what you were saying about the coronavirus that's not entirely true. Coronaviruses have been around for years yeah but whenever there's been an outbreak (like SARS or MERS) that's been serious it's been on the news. This strain of coronavirus (Covid 19) hasn't been around for years, it's a new strain that has only recently appeared recently. I don't think people are especially worried about this disease being around in 2 years time but what worries people now is the outbreak because it's not looking like it will be contained therefore they're more likely to get it. With that said the risk isn't high, especially to anyone under 20 which obviously many of us in this thread are. You're unlikely to die of it but certain groups of people are more at risk which is why so many measures are put in place to prevent its spread because regardless of how low the risk you want to minimise casualties if you can.
Reply 42
Original post by nemofoot
I understand what youre saying, and I agree that the coronavirus scare is being overblown to an extent, but the reality is if this turns into a big epidemic (which is looking liklier by the hour) hundreds of thousands of the old and vulnerable will likely die and god knows what will happen to the economy, will everyone be told to stay off work? There's even talk today of police being taken off the street and the army being brought in!!!

I really don't think the best solution in the midst of all of this would be to, what, have us go in in hazmat suits and sit our exams?!?!?! Or we've spent all these many months preparing for exams for them to be rescheduled? And what about if all the schools close and we end up not being taught for weeks or months and still sitting the exams??? None of the solutions seem to be viable

If the exams are rescheduled too when would they be rescheduled to? Obviously it would have to be when things had calmed down but by which point people may have things already booked for then because they were supposed to have sat their a levels by then. Equally we obviously need to be at uni by a certain point too so how would that all work when the exam board need so much time to mark our papers. I suppose the other bug thing for sitting exams is if we've missed significant amounts of taught time because of schools being closed and then obviously results won't be as great (and it won't be even because some schools may have got through content earlier) so then what happens with universities. Perhaps they'll conduct on a larger scale what they do for people with extenuating circumstances who miss lots of school and accept lower grades as a result. I don't know, it's just all uncharted territory really.
Original post by aishokthen
If the exams are rescheduled too when would they be rescheduled to? Obviously it would have to be when things had calmed down but by which point people may have things already booked for then because they were supposed to have sat their a levels by then. Equally we obviously need to be at uni by a certain point too so how would that all work when the exam board need so much time to mark our papers. I suppose the other bug thing for sitting exams is if we've missed significant amounts of taught time because of schools being closed and then obviously results won't be as great (and it won't be even because some schools may have got through content earlier) so then what happens with universities. Perhaps they'll conduct on a larger scale what they do for people with extenuating circumstances who miss lots of school and accept lower grades as a result. I don't know, it's just all uncharted territory really.

Yes it's crazy, well just have to strap ourselves in and see what happens, seems to have become basically inevitable it's going to become an epidemic now :eek:
Original post by nathan_nacu
That’s what I thought too

Nah, they will just delay the exams.
Reply 45
Original post by HurtOnAllLevels
Nah, they will just delay the exams.

To when? If people have already booked and paid for things which they will have done that makes it very difficult for them. They can't really say tough **** because plenty of people can't afford to pay for holidays they're not going to go on and the exam boards only have one date they ask you to keep free 'in case of emergency' and that doesn't really cover it.
If schools were shut due to a coronavirus outbreak (not saying that will definitely happen but if it did) what would happen with exams? I mean like A level and GCSE exams, A levels in particular because it's obviously relevant to universities as well. I mean if schools were to be closed for a month then that's a significant amount of time that was supposed to be spent studying for A levels that you've missed. Does anyone have any ideas what would be done realistically about that? It's just a thought that occurred to me and I was curious

I think you'll probably just get a longer study leave. I mean the last few months are just used for revision and exam practice anyway.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I think you'll probably just get a longer study leave. I mean the last few months are just used for revision and exam practice anyway.

But some subjects aren't meant to finish teaching to content until very close to the exams. This will differ in every school and every subject. How is it fair that some students will have managed to do everything in class whilst others would have to self teach?
Reply 48
interestingly the fatality rate they suspect the coronavirus has (it's not official because they can't give anything official when there's still an outbreak) is actually very similar to the fatality rate of the outbreak of Spanish flu after the first world war. It's a bit strange because obviously it killed a LOT of people after the war so I guess a ridiculous amount of people must have been infected?

This is correct. The Spanish flu killed only around 2%, the coronavirus is at least 3% atm. The Spanish flu infected so many people though and as it was during the world war the conditions made it easily catchable. Additionally, conditions in the war made death more likely. Had the novel coronavirus infected people at that time the death rate may have been closer to 20% since that’s the number of cases which are serious or critical. This number is key even in modern times as if too many people get infected we won’t have enough resources so the death rate will start to tend towards 20%. I doubt it will exceed 10% though.
Reply 49
Original post by Treetop321
But some subjects aren't meant to finish teaching to content until very close to the exams. This will differ in every school and every subject. How is it fair that some students will have managed to do everything in class whilst others would have to self teach?

I self teach myself most things anyway due to poor teaching, so technically many students do have to self teach based on teaching quality so you could argue this is unfair. I’m sure they’d have to provide online resources anyway. It would also be unfair for somebody who happened to be living in a coronavirus infected area and didn’t get to sit their exam like others, or had to do it in some isolation place while having difficulty breathing.

So really education and exams are not necessarily fair, even when taking extra study time out of the equation.

I don't know it depends how soon they close if it's in the summer then yeah you'll get a longer study leave only coming in for exams the other possibility is you will get your predicted grades.
If schools were shut due to a coronavirus outbreak (not saying that will definitely happen but if it did) what would happen with exams? I mean like A level and GCSE exams, A levels in particular because it's obviously relevant to universities as well. I mean if schools were to be closed for a month then that's a significant amount of time that was supposed to be spent studying for A levels that you've missed. Does anyone have any ideas what would be done realistically about that? It's just a thought that occurred to me and I was curious

Yeah, idk. The government probably wont stop the whole of the UK doing their GCSEs either way lol. The main reason why the media are freaking out is because of the stock decline (comparable to the world stock market crash in 2007)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nemofoot
I dont understand why ucas and schools would go through all the hassle of rearranging our exams (and it will he us that end up biting the bullet if this happens) when they could just give us the predicted grades? Why does that not seem to be an option?

Not everyone has good predicted grades
Original post by i<3history
at our school, we've been told that if schools shut now for 2 months (which is what has been said by the health office) then we will get our UCAS predicted grades
they can't expect students to sit exams when the content hasn't been finished

I agree with you but I feel like predicted grades are unfair so I really hope there are other ways :frown:
Original post by gluttonyyy
I agree with you but I feel like predicted grades are unfair so I really hope there are other ways :frown:

What about those that didn't get predicted grades because they weren't applying to uni?
What about those that didn't get predicted grades because they weren't applying to uni?

they would have some sort of other measure in place? as there would be many people in that situation.. or they would just keep everything going to prevent the hassle. I can't imagine my college shutting.
Nothing will happen, schools won't shut, the media just love to scare everyone
Original post by Rock Fan
Nothing will happen, schools won't shut, the media just love to scare everyone

False sense of security, this virus isn't like the others, schools will shut down watch in a few weeks time
I think it would be extremely unfair for students to be given their mock grades or their predicted grades in the unlikely event that they are unable to sit their exams.

There's absolutely no standardisation across schools for mocks, they are all sat at different times and are very much of varying difficulty, and it would be extremely easy for people to cheat on a large scale within schools - plenty of people missed their mock exam dates and sat the same paper a few days later. Also it would be very unfair, for example, for a university to expect/require somebody with say an A*A*A offer to necessarily get A*A*A in their mock, especially considering the large time gap between mocks and real exams, and how people tend not to prepare for their mocks as though they were real exams.

Predicted grades have similar issues and I know people who managed to get their predicted grade raised from a B to an A* just from talking to their teachers. Also most schools will either overpredict or underpredict.

To be honest, I'm more worried that everything will be so chaotic that they won't be able to give every single student fair consideration, meaning that some people might get given an official A level grade based on incomplete assessment of information. Any thoughts?
Original post by GreenCub
I think it would be extremely unfair for students to be given their mock grades or their predicted grades in the unlikely event that they are unable to sit their exams.

There's absolutely no standardisation across schools for mocks, they are all sat at different times and are very much of varying difficulty, and it would be extremely easy for people to cheat on a large scale within schools - plenty of people missed their mock exam dates and sat the same paper a few days later. Also it would be very unfair, for example, for a university to expect/require somebody with say an A*A*A offer to necessarily get A*A*A in their mock, especially considering the large time gap between mocks and real exams, and how people tend not to prepare for their mocks as though they were real exams.

Predicted grades have similar issues and I know people who managed to get their predicted grade raised from a B to an A* just from talking to their teachers. Also most schools will either overpredict or underpredict.

To be honest, I'm more worried that everything will be so chaotic that they won't be able to give every single student fair consideration, meaning that some people might get given an official A level grade based on incomplete assessment of information. Any thoughts?

It wouldn’t be predicted grades submitted to UCAS or the grades given to students. Exam boards collect the predictions from exam centres when candidates are entered for an exam (and if the profile of grades looks different to the profile of achieved grades from previous years there would be questions).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending