Is my workout plan good enough?

Watch
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a beginner and want to build muscle (like really toned, really defined muscle, I want to look kind of jacked honestly).

My diet: I'm going to eat a surplus of 250 calories (my maintenance + 250) and track this using myfitnesspal. (hopefully I don't get FAT from doing this since I won't be in a deficit idk) I'm going to eat 80 grams of protein, and I'll try to stick within the limits of carbs and fats.

Gym workout: I'm going to go to the gym three times a week (is that enough?). I'm going to do 5x5 and push myself with a weight that won't get me injured but will cause me to feel contractions in my muscles. And I'm going to do this:
Monday - Arms (5 compound movements 5x5)
Wednesday - Arms (5 compound movements 5x5)
Friday - Legs (5 compound movements 5x5)

Would this be OK? Is this bad? What can I do to improve it if anything needs to be improved. (Please no complex fitness jargon yet, I'm a beginner I won't really know what you're saying.)

Ok thanks
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, you aren't eating enough protein (unless you weigh 40kg) also make sure you get enough fats, at least 20% of your kcal intake.
Regarding your workout plan, I would suggest you follow a proper program like candito or gzclp because making your own is not efficient at all, I can give you some links when I get home.
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Firstly, you aren't eating enough protein (unless you weigh 40kg) also make sure you get enough fats, at least 20% of your kcal intake.
Regarding your workout plan, I would suggest you follow a proper program like candito or gzclp because making your own is not efficient at all, I can give you some links when I get home.
Hi thanks for your reply
I weigh 65kg, so how much protein should I eat to build muscle?
I read the gzclp one, and I want to make sure I get it clear: https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/
So I'm doing ONE excercise in tier 1, ONE excercise in tier 2, and TWO excercises in tier 3 for each workout? And I'm planning to workout three times a week?
He also says use 85% of your weight, I'm not sure what that means?

And finally, when the progression "starts over", what do you do? Do you just restart it right from the top with the 5x3, then 6x2 then 10x1?
our schedule would look like:

week 1: 50lb - 5x3 (success)
week 2: 55lb - 5x3 (success)
week 3: 60lb -5x3 (success)

Now lets say on week 4 you fail at 65lb:

week 4: 65lb -5x3 (fail!)

This is where things change. Now you no longer use 5x3 for workout A2 bench press anymore. 5x3 is done. Now you use 6x2. And You keep using 6x2, increasing the weight by 5lbs until you fail again. This is the key part that confuses people.

Now you continue like before, but you use 6x2. For example:

week 5: 65lb - 6x2 (success)
week 6: 70lb - 6x2 (success)
week 7: 75lb - 6x2 (success)

Now lets say you fail on week 8:

week 8: 80lb - 6x2 (Fail!).

So now you no longer use 6x2. Instead you use 10x1, increasing the weight by 5lbs every time still.

week 9: 80lb - 10x1 (success)
week 10: 85lb - 10x1 (success)
week 11: 90lb - 10x1 (success)

Lets say you fail on week 12:

week 12: 95lb - 10x1 (Fail!)

Congrats, you have finished a progression. This is where the progression starts over.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yotsr123)
Hi thanks for your reply
I weigh 65kg, so how much protein should I eat to build muscle?
I read the gzclp one, and I want to make sure I get it clear: https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/
So I'm doing ONE excercise in tier 1, ONE excercise in tier 2, and TWO excercises in tier 3 for each workout? And I'm planning to workout three times a week?
He also says use 85% of your weight, I'm not sure what that means?

And finally, when the progression "starts over", what do you do? Do you just restart it right from the top with the 5x3, then 6x2 then 10x1?
our schedule would look like:

week 1: 50lb - 5x3 (success)
week 2: 55lb - 5x3 (success)
week 3: 60lb -5x3 (success)

Now lets say on week 4 you fail at 65lb:

week 4: 65lb -5x3 (fail!)

This is where things change. Now you no longer use 5x3 for workout A2 bench press anymore. 5x3 is done. Now you use 6x2. And You keep using 6x2, increasing the weight by 5lbs until you fail again. This is the key part that confuses people.

Now you continue like before, but you use 6x2. For example:

week 5: 65lb - 6x2 (success)
week 6: 70lb - 6x2 (success)
week 7: 75lb - 6x2 (success)

Now lets say you fail on week 8:

week 8: 80lb - 6x2 (Fail!).

So now you no longer use 6x2. Instead you use 10x1, increasing the weight by 5lbs every time still.

week 9: 80lb - 10x1 (success)
week 10: 85lb - 10x1 (success)
week 11: 90lb - 10x1 (success)

Lets say you fail on week 12:

week 12: 95lb - 10x1 (Fail!)

Congrats, you have finished a progression. This is where the progression starts over.
If you click on the free program link at the top he sends you a hypertrophy focused version, pretty sure, which has changes in the rep scheme and a few other changes.

To answer your question you would take 85% of 95lb and start from 5x3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (161)
15.56%
Uncertainty around my education (168)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (99)
9.57%
Isolating with family (71)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.77%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.7%
Loneliness (102)
9.86%
Financial worries (46)
4.44%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.15%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.7%

Watched Threads