tiktok23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm a first year law student and I already have a half sleeve on my right arm. I'm booked in to turn it into a full sleeve next month and I eventually want to get my other arm done as well. None of these tattoos are offensive. Will these tattoos be likely to hold me back or become an issue in my legal career?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It'll depend on the firm you apply to, some will be conservative and some quite liberal. You'll probably get a feel for this in some firms when you attend vacation schemes.

From the majority that I've visited though, I certainly haven't seen many tattoo laden employees.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by tiktok23)
I'm a first year law student and I already have a half sleeve on my right arm. I'm booked in to turn it into a full sleeve next month and I eventually want to get my other arm done as well. None of these tattoos are offensive. Will these tattoos be likely to hold me back or become an issue in my legal career?
There was a similar thread earlier today with a certain poster warning the OP all about prejudice etc.

Imo its your choice, dont have any on your face and if you are male then your arms are likely to be covered.
Law is a conservative profession, certain firms wont give a hoot (Law centres, charities, local government) if you can cover your arms up not likely to be an issue, but more commercial forms should be ok, except they are always considering whether they can put you in front of a client. I think they are a lot more accepted these days, but if someone takes a dislike you will never know.
tiktok23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
There was a similar thread earlier today with a certain poster warning the OP all about prejudice etc.

Imo its your choice, dont have any on your face and if you are male then your arms are likely to be covered.
Law is a conservative profession, certain firms wont give a hoot (Law centres, charities, local government) if you can cover your arms up not likely to be an issue, but more commercial forms should be ok, except they are always considering whether they can put you in front of a client. I think they are a lot more accepted these days, but if someone takes a dislike you will never know.
I'm a guy so I suppose my arms would be pretty much covered if I was wearing a suit. I definitely won't get any on my hands or neck as it would be too visible. I hope that attitudes towards tattoos have changed these days.
999tigger
Report 6 months ago
I'm a guy so I suppose my arms would be pretty much covered if I was wearing a suit. I definitely won't get any on my hands or neck as it would be too visible. I hope that attitudes towards tattoos have changed these days.
They have, but it may not always be the firm but the client.
All depends what type of law you think you want to become involved in.
Ajkakaksjsk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Looking to get full sleeve tattoos too but don’t know if it will hinder my chances of getting a job in the finance sector, this is life, everything that a person likes has restrictions
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What sort of firm are you thinking of practising at? Never seen a visible tattoo among commercial solicitors/trainees.
Brutal Bee
Badges: 22
Report 6 months ago
lol imagine the kind of people who would see tattoos and think "not a suitable candidate"...boring [bad word describing idiots]
Last edited by Brutal Bee; 6 months ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Law-yer)
lol imagine the kind of people who would see tattoos and think "not a suitable candidate"...boring [bad word describing idiots]
Aye, harsh reality of the professional world.
I'd be covered in 'em if I decided to study something else.
Brutal Bee
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Aye, harsh reality of the professional world.
I'd be covered in 'em if I decided to study something else.
I mean it's probably silly for me to make that comment because I am not yet in the 'real' world so shouldn't comment on these things. Still though, I don't see how having tattoos should disadvantage someone...

Nah, you should go wild (don't). Having a personality is a blessing tbh
Do you have any?
999tigger
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ajkakaksjsk)
Looking to get full sleeve tattoos too but don’t know if it will hinder my chances of getting a job in the finance sector, this is life, everything that a person likes has restrictions
You arent telling us what sort of practise you are aspiring to join.
I dont think you are quite getting how conservative the legal world is and its going to be a potential issue with a certain group of people be they in the firm or in terms of clients. Certain firms wont care, because of their work others might prefer not to handle it especially as they have multiple other candidates lined up. Are you an exceptional student?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I mean it's probably silly for me to make that comment because I am not yet in the 'real' world so shouldn't comment on these things. Still though, I don't see how having tattoos should disadvantage someone...

Do you have any?
I don't either, but there still seems to be a stigma against them. I can see why they do it I suppose, it's a very 'people' orientated role and at the end of the day they want to keep their clients happy. Some people still seem to associate tattoos with being "scruffy" or unprofessional.

I do! I recently caved in and got some. I have a large half-moon on my shoulder that you can only see when I wear something strappy and one on each thigh.
999tigger
Report 6 months ago

Do you have any?
Lawyers are very conservative, they exist to make money. Tattoos are hit and miss so all it takes is for a client to take a dislike or internally other lawyers and you have a potential issue, people without them dont have. Tattoos are much more accepted these days, but dont expect the legal world to embrace everything overnight. Its up to them, they are businesses and are more interested in making money. Same with facial piercings
and hair cuts.
Brutal Bee
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Lawyers are very conservative, they exist to make money. Tattoos are hit and miss so all it takes is for a client to take a dislike or internally other lawyers and you have a potential issue, people without them dont have. Tattoos are much more accepted these days, but dont expect the legal world to embrace everything overnight. Its up to them, they are businesses and are more interested in making money. Same with facial piercings
and hair cuts.
In that case, OP should only get tattoos in areas that are easy to cover. I don't think it's unreasonable for an employer to expect their employees to present themselves 'professionally'. I just wonder, is the issue tattoos (no matter how few or how small the drawings) or is it tattoos that are too 'attention-grabbing'?
999tigger
Report 6 months ago
In that case, OP should only get tattoos in areas that are easy to cover. I don't think it's unreasonable for an employer to expect their employees to present themselves 'professionally'. I just wonder, is the issue tattoos (no matter how few or how small the drawings) or is it tattoos that are too 'attention-grabbing'?
The latter.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I can instinctively think of at least two valid reasons for turning these candidates away
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J Papi)
I can instinctively think of at least two valid reasons for turning these candidates away
Quite. I suspect they're the same reasons as I am thinking.

Yes, I think it is a problem. A half sleeve could be visible through a shirt and unless you're planning on never taking your suit coat off, I don't believe the attitude of the partners at whose firm you would be doing any TC would be particularly equivocal. Two full-sleeve tattoos might be fine for a 'barista' in an artisan coffee shop in Shoreditch, less so in the rather traditional legal profession.

If you weren't planning on a 'traditional' legal career in a firm, then it could be quite different, of course.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You will be wearing long sleeve shirts most of the time, as long as they aren't visible around the cuffs nobody will even know.
montyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My colleague has a sleeve but I didn’t notice until our away day when they wore a t-shirt. Just make sure it can be covered by a shirt and don’t buy cheap, see through shirts.
Brutal Bee
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Which are...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (28)
29.79%
Less motivated (66)
70.21%

Watched Threads