bb5061
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
After a long and quite painful period of thinking and reflection, I've decided to suspend my PGCE studies for the sake of my mental well-being. It all seems like such a waste, so I have started to explore whether or not it would worthwhile continuing with the academic element of the course. Has anyone here decided to drop the QTS element of the PGCE (the teaching practice) and continued with the Pedagogy (the university study)? If so, is it worth continuing- especially when you consider the cost of continued study for what is only part of a Masters?

Thanks.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bb5061)
After a long and quite painful period of thinking and reflection, I've decided to suspend my PGCE studies for the sake of my mental well-being. It all seems like such a waste, so I have started to explore whether or not it would worthwhile continuing with the academic element of the course. Has anyone here decided to drop the QTS element of the PGCE (the teaching practice) and continued with the Pedagogy (the university study)? If so, is it worth continuing- especially when you consider the cost of continued study for what is only part of a Masters?

Thanks.
Dear bb5061

I'm sorry to hear that you are about to suspend your teacher training course. It's not a light decision to make and i'm sure you've consider all circumstances.

Have you spoken to your course provider to see if they are able to offer just the PGCE element and enquired what the cost of that will be? If you withdraw from the course, you may be eligible to further funding if you choose to do another course that awards QTS in the future, so that would be an additional aspect to consider.

Jane
bb5061
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your responce, Jane.

I have recently spoken to my course provider, and they have said that while they are able to offer just the PGCE element of the course, it will still cost the same as if I were to continue with the QTS. It makes those 60 university credits incredibly expensive. It is very difficult to know if it is worth completing the PGCE or not.

bb5061
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bb5061)
Thanks for your responce, Jane.

I have recently spoken to my course provider, and they have said that while they are able to offer just the PGCE element of the course, it will still cost the same as if I were to continue with the QTS. It makes those 60 university credits incredibly expensive. It is very difficult to know if it is worth completing the PGCE or not.

bb5061
I'd question your provider closely about this- my PGCE element included an element of research in schools, and many of my assignments required me to talk about things I've done in schools. I would really drill down into how you would be able to practically achieve the PGCE element.

However if this is possible, could you ask about the possibility of taking some more credits to work towards a full masters of education?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.14%
No (519)
65.86%

Watched Threads