he3456
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Identify a substance that could be added to aqueous butylamine to produce a basic buffer solution.

thanks
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Butanoic acid?
gongoozled goose
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Butanoic acid?
I guess it cud be butylammonium chloride? cuz for ammonium, its ammonium chloride right?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
I guess it cud be butylammonium chloride? cuz for ammonium, its ammonium chloride right?
Oh yes that’s correct. My mistake.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 6 months ago
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oh yes that’s correct.
ah ok thnx :yy:
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Butanoic acid?
Since one can add an acid to a weak base (assuming the base is in excess), the mixture would contain butanamine and butanammonium ions so wouldn't this be a basic buffer?
he3456
Rep:
?
how do you get this? are you just meant to add in a salt of the base butylamine?
beacuse, I thought for a base, you would add in an acid and it is only for an acid that you add in a salt?
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by he3456)
how do you get this? are you just meant to add in a salt of the base butylamine?
beacuse, I thought for a base, you would add in an acid and it is only for an acid that you add in a salt?
Nope, salt of butylamine's conjugate acid is butylammonium chloride since we need a weak base and its conjugate acid for basic buffer ( i found it easier to think about ammonia and ammonium and then apply it to amines)

If its for acid buffer, we need weak acid, and its conjugate base which we get from conjugate base salt
Last edited by gongoozled goose; 6 months ago
he3456
Rep:
?
Nope, salt of butylamine's conjugate acid is butylammonium chloride since we need a weak base and its conjugate acid for basic buffer ( i found it easier to think about ammonia and ammonium and then apply it to amines)

If its for acid buffer, we need weak acid, and its conjugate base which we get from conjugate base salt
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (58)
26.48%
Less motivated (161)
73.52%

Watched Threads