Car was broken into, call insurance?

Watch
Railstorm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As in the title my passenger window was broken into. It looks like some loose change was taken from the car and not much else. I'm not sure if I should try and go through insurance to get it fixed or just eat the cost myself. Things like if it will effect my NCD or increase my insurance later, or if i'll have to declare it for the next 5 years etc. Anyone else had similar experience? What did you do?
Joshkav
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to tell them, whether you plan to claim or not. If you don't claim, it just goes down as information only, but you will still need to declare it for the next 3/5 years (varies between insurance providers) if you want to stay on the right side of the law. Plus them finding out you didn't tell them, could mean they cancel your policy, then you will have to declare that for years when looking for insurance. This would have to go down as cancelled because of fraud. If I was you, I would tell them no matter what you plan to do, just to cover yourself
Railstorm
Rep:
?
Just checked my insurance, my excess through autoglass is £75. Not too bad all things considered. I'm still not sure if it will effect me down the road with future insurance.
Joshkav
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Railstorm)
Just checked my insurance, my excess through autoglass is £75. Not too bad all things considered. I'm still not sure if it will effect me down the road with future insurance.
If you claim through insurance, IT WILL, you will also lose your NCD and have to declare it for 5 years. But if you don't claim, you WON'T lose your NCD, but you WILL still have to declare it for the next 5 years.
Railstorm
Rep:
?
It says on the site that it will not effect my NCD, the quote I got without insurance is £330...
Joshkav
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It says on the site that it will not effect my NCD, the quote I got without insurance is £330...
Does it say that on your policy? If so, just claim through them I would say. Either way, you have to tell them
Railstorm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joshkav)
Does it say that on your policy? If so, just claim through them I would say. Either way, you have to tell them
Thanks for the reply's. Its just so stupid, they only took like £3 of loose change.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply's. Its just so stupid, they only took like £3 of loose change.
Theft is stupid, I had a window broken in order to steal an (empty) cig packet once.
Doesn't need to be the crown jewels sitting on your passenger seat in order to get someone to bust the window in and steal it.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you sure your policy covers side windows? Most only offer Windscreen cover as standard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.47%
No (68)
39.53%

Watched Threads