The Student Room Group
University of York
York

reccommended accomodation

I am not able to visit the university in an open day. I already chose York as my firm choice and was wondering which accomodation to choose. I am searching for an ensuite accomodation on campus west. Wich college would you say has the nicest accomodation? Thanks in advance!!
For en-suite on west, I’d always recommend putting Alcuin down because the accommodation is pretty nice and new and is also all en-suite so always a good bet for an en-suite! Other than that, not all other colleges on west campus have tonnes of ensuites and so you may not be able to fill all the preferences with ensuites (you had to put down 9 preferences when I applied although that may have changed) so you may need to either go for an en-suite on East or shared bathroom on west. All bathrooms that are shared bathrooms have a basin in the room so also worth considering :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
For en-suite on west, I’d always recommend putting Alcuin down because the accommodation is pretty nice and new and is also all en-suite so always a good bet for an en-suite! Other than that, not all other colleges on west campus have tonnes of ensuites and so you may not be able to fill all the preferences with ensuites (you had to put down 9 preferences when I applied although that may have changed) so you may need to either go for an en-suite on East or shared bathroom on west. All bathrooms that are shared bathrooms have a basin in the room so also worth considering :smile:

Thanks! I'll probably choose Alcuin as my first option, by the videos and pics it seems quite nice!
Anywhere but Halifax
I don’t like that york has no single gender flats, I’d prefer to live in a single gender flat for religious reasons but they say that they won’t take into account. What’s it actually like at York, are some flats single gender just due to amount of specific gender eg more girls/
Original post by Anonymous
Anywhere but Halifax

why is there so much hate for Halifax?
Original post by Athena1939

Silverfish infestation, far away from everything, older rooms, no "proper" student bar etc etc

I'm sure if you find the right people in your house it would be o-kay (but that's true for any accom), but don't go there if you can help it. There are plenty better accommodations and considering 75% of people that apply between now and the 31st of July are confirmed to get their first choice, you can definitely do better than Halifax.
Original post by Anonymous
I am not able to visit the university in an open day. I already chose York as my firm choice and was wondering which accomodation to choose. I am searching for an ensuite accomodation on campus west. Wich college would you say has the nicest accomodation? Thanks in advance!!

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you can't make it to our Visit Days! You might find our 360 degree room tours helpful for choosing your accommodation - just visit the page for each college (here's one in Alcuin): https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/rooms-prices/. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer about York.

Hope this helps!

Steph :h:
Original post by Athena1939

As someone who lived in Halifax can I put in a good word here..
I had the best year in halifax - I lived in a house with 18 people so there was always something fun going on!
Yes there aren't sofas in the kitchen but there is a common room with sofas and a TV room with loads of beanbags etc. so this isn't an issue.
Also the houses/flats are arranged into courts - which are so social - you get to know your neighbours really well.
It is also right next to loads and loads of fields which is really lovely for walks/runs.
Okay the rooms aren't amazing but they have a wardrobe, bed and desk and sink (if not en suite) which is all you needed. AND also the facilities people are amazing - anything that goes wrong they fix really quickly with no telling off or fees - I broke a mirror and a wall lamp and they sorted really quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest