telkov
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Next week I will be going on a residential trip with my geography class to carry out the fieldwork necessary for the NEA, so this week our teacher wants us to get an idea of what we want to base our topic on.

I know I want to do carbon because I hate changing places and I don't find coasts that interesting, but the examples of carbon-based projects online didn't get very high marks. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, I just want to make sure I make a good decision, and I am aiming for a high grade.
For a rough title idea, I was thinking something along the lines of 'how does the carbon content in trees vary between coniferous and deciduous woodland' or soil characteristics changing with land use, etc.. but other than that I'm stuck for ideas. I also can't decide whether to focus on soil or trees.
For trees, measuring carbon content is more complex (imo) than finding the carbon content for soil, so I don't know if it would 'look better' to have a more complicated method. Finding carbon and water content for soil is basically just drying it and reweighing it. I also don't know of many other data collection methods I could use for soil or trees, other than finding carbon content and density.

I know this post is a bit messy, but I just want some advice on primary research methods I could use for soil/trees (and which I should) or help finding a better title. Any help would be appreciated.
telkov
Rep:
?
I've been doing more research this evening, and I was thinking that maybe basing my NEA on the water cycle would be a better idea? I think there would be more data collection methods, which is what I'm worried about for the carbon cycle. However, I really don't know what sort of title to do for it. Something about infiltration rates varying because of some human/physical factor...
Or maybe I should just stick with carbon. I'm really not sure.
?Hannah?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are you first or second year?
telkov
Rep:
?
I'm in my first year. I've already carried out my fieldwork at this point, and I ended up sticking with the carbon cycle and soil. I hope it'll be alright.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by telkov)
I'm in my first year. I've already carried out my fieldwork at this point, and I ended up sticking with the carbon cycle and soil. I hope it'll be alright.
Sounds excellent, what methodologies have you planned to use and have you found any literature or theory to base your investigation on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads