Failed my 3rd driving test today, want opinions.

Watch
Jyorbe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I essentially can drive about as good as a 17 year old learner can drive. In lessons, I never make mistakes, I may aswell be having a normal drive with no one next to me. I failed my 3rd test today and my instructor was in disbelief, calling me the 'most unlucky person' he has ever seen. The first two tests were 1 serious each (1st one was ufair because he touched the wheel unneccessarily and the 2nd was parallel park) and a combined 7 minor (4,3). Todays one I got 1 serious, 9 minors but I personally do not feel it was a 9 minor drive and apparently the woman is a bit of a villain. Anyway, I am thinking of having a punt at another test centre with potentially a new instructor as my current one does not want me to move test centres. Has anyone done this, is it worth it or should I keep trying at my current centre until my lucks changes (although I dont feel it changing anytime soon).
jjj1x_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Don't give up!! I was exactly the same, during lessons I was completely fine and then on my test I would always fail for something stupid that I wouldn't usually do ever during my lessons. I identified the fact that this was due to extreme nerves which I didn't think it was at first. I have failed a whopping 5 times (spread out over about 2-3 years which isn't ideal), in 3 different test centres. When I finally passed I couldn't believe it, this was a new test centre, new examiners it wasn't as nerve wracking as going back to the previous test centre where I constantly failed.

Do whatever you think is best but depending on your relationship with your instructor, maybe consider asking him if you could stick with him but move to another test centre if you think he is a good instructor.

Ps. if you think its nerves, try "rescue remedy" drops/ sweets they are amazing I don't think I could calm my nerves on the day without them

Good luck!
Last edited by jjj1x_; 1 year ago
nulogicsound
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jyorbe)
I essentially can drive about as good as a 17 year old learner can drive. In lessons, I never make mistakes, I may aswell be having a normal drive with no one next to me. I failed my 3rd test today and my instructor was in disbelief, calling me the 'most unlucky person' he has ever seen. The first two tests were 1 serious each (1st one was ufair because he touched the wheel unneccessarily and the 2nd was parallel park) and a combined 7 minor (4,3). Todays one I got 1 serious, 9 minors but I personally do not feel it was a 9 minor drive and apparently the woman is a bit of a villain. Anyway, I am thinking of having a punt at another test centre with potentially a new instructor as my current one does not want me to move test centres. Has anyone done this, is it worth it or should I keep trying at my current centre until my lucks changes (although I dont feel it changing anytime soon).
I failed today too - it's so tricky isn't it when you put in so much hard work and not to mention money. Do you think you'd have some increased nerves if you changed center? Wouldn't that also mean new routes? The person on my test with me has been responsible for all my instructors fails recently so I do think you can have good and bad luck with who you get on the day. Don't give up. Imagine that feeling when you finally pass!!! You'll get there! Mine is booked in again for the 20th April as that was the soonest available .... I just want it done. I have to admit I don't especially love driving and all the stress of learning and failing haha
Linguist05
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jyorbe)
This happened to me.

I changed instructor.

Took test at another centre.

Passed!
Olu olu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh failing your driving test ain’t mean you ain’t a good driver..it’s just luck tbh Passing first time don’t mean you are a good driver.If it’s ur lucky day it will Just keep trying I failed twice as well but won’t give up
TheDE
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So place it into a different scenario. If someone was tutoring you to make a maths exam at a local college and you kept failing. The tutor made excuses such as bad luck or harsh marking. Would it make more sense to find a better tutor or to do the exact same exam but at a different college?

When instructors say things like 'bad luck' or 'mrs x is harsh', it is not excuses for your poor performance on the test, it is excuses for their poor performance in teaching you how to drive. A good instructor would say 'okay, we know what we need to work on, let's move forwards'. I have been called harsh and easy going by the same instructor on the same day before, so it means literally nothing other than an excuse from them to get more money for lessons out of you and a good Facebook review when you eventually pass. Realistically you should say thanks but no thanks, I'm going to see if someone else can help me pass.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads