Cyclist fell because of me, can they claim?

Watch
Queentan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Today i caused a cyclist to fall of his bicycle as I was leaving my parking space. I was parked on the right hand side with a car behind me and a big suv parked in-front of me. I did all my mirror checks and because I could see the front side properly I asked the passenger if anything is there and they said no (my fault for even asking him) I went and suddenly I see 2 cyclist and the first one did an emergency stop and this caused the one behind to fall down. I came out of the car and apologised and helped him up and was literally going to cry. He said it was okay and he was walking away with the other cyclist my sister who was with me told me he was limping a bit. But neither of them asked for my details or took pictures of my car reg. I don’t know if they would claim or anything as I didn’t hit them with my car or anything but people near by who saw and the bus behind thought I had hit them but I didn’t.
Please some body help me out I’m really worried.
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unless they have a photographic memory or there were cameras in the car park I think it’s unlikely anything would come of this.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes. He could claim against your insurance
If he walked away without taking any details then it’s unlikely he will. But he certainly could
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They're cyclists don't worry about them. They aren't real people.
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be honest, even though there was no physical contact I would report it to your insurance anyway. It’ll reduce the chance of any issues if they do decide to put in a claim.
Queentan
Rep:
?
I checked the area and there was no camera there just a bus behind me and people watching.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Meh, if the 2nd cyclist hasn't been able to stop as fast at the 1st, that's kind of on them IMO. If you do the same with cars the 2nd car v much gets the blame. Your passenger is obv a fanny.
Queentan
Rep:
?
Thank you to all those who replied. This has been stressing me out a lot.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Yes. He could claim against your insurance
If he walked away without taking any details then it’s unlikely he will. But he certainly could
Can't claim anything at all as there's no incident involving the OP to claim against.

The cyclist was simply following the cyclist in front too closely and rightly got shafted for the pleasure.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Can't claim anything at all as there's no incident involving the OP to claim against.

The cyclist was simply following the cyclist in front too closely and rightly got shafted for the pleasure.
This.

Although if you do wind up actually doing something dumb like hitting a cyclist pulling out or whatever without looking, they can claim against your insurance for injury, just as future reference. But if they ram their bike into your car - enjoy the civil lawsuit route because obviously you can't do the same back, what a time to be alive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads