VR54 – MR from the DCMS, Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing.

Watch
Poll: Should the contents of this Ministerial Report pass?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (24)
52.17%
Of the contrary, no. (9)
19.57%
Abstain. (13)
28.26%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
R54 – Department for Culture, Media and Sport Secretary of State ,Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing

Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing

Mr Speaker,

The House has expressed its concern about the use of the whip in horse racing and wishes me to respond. I have therefore written to the British Horseracing Authority expressing the views of the House as detailed in the motion. I have made four suggestions for amending the rules governing the use of the whip, and asked them to respond, though these four ideas are not exhaustive.

1. Reduction in the number of times the whip can be used in a race.
2. A ban on the use of the whip in the final furlong (closing stages).
3. Disciplinary sanctions be extended to the trainers of horses, given the link between trainer and rider.
4. A period of time where the horse who has been excessively whipped or otherwise whipped during a race, before they can race again.

I await a response from the British Horseracing Authority. It is my view that I would prefer changes to be made by them, rather than have to impose them by legislation
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Nay I oppose this rule. We shouldn't be whipping horses at all regardless (only if they pose threat should we be hitting them).
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Aye & I thank the Secretary of State (barnetlad) for this statement and his proposals.
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I cannot see that my voting on this statement is indicative of any action, you have written to them as is your prerogative in government - I am unsure why you require me to vote on it?
username4307230
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Nay from me!
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
I cannot see that my voting on this statement is indicative of any action, you have written to them as is your prerogative in government - I am unsure why you require me to vote on it?
MRs are put to a vote if the Prime Minister, the minister who proposed it, or the Leader of the Opposition request it to be - in this instance, I don't think it was the DCMS who asked for it!

To this end, Baron of Sealand may be able to offer further insight on the vote :holmes:
Last edited by shadowdweller; 7 months ago
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
MRs are put to a vote if the Prime Minister, the minister who proposed it, or the Leader of the Opposition request it to be - in this instance, I don't think it was the DCMS who asked for it!

To this end, Baron of Sealand may be able to offer further insight on the vote :holmes:
The Leader of the Opposition wanted a vote and I was happy for this to happen.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I thank the House for their support.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Order, order!

The Ayes to the right: 24
the Noes to the left: 9
Abstains: 13

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (11)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
3.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (17)
28.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
5.08%
I'm not a current university student (26)
44.07%

Watched Threads