school direct/ salaried PGCE (secondary) for overseas students

Watch
Aanchal_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,I am a Biotechnology graduate with 5 years teaching experience in Primary IB curriculum. I wish to start with PGCE Biology with QTS this year in September. I want to go through the school direct / salaried route as I will not be eligible for bursaries, being an international student.

My questions are-
-Are overseas candidates eligible for school direct/ salaried route?-
If yes, do they need a work permit at the time of applying?
- Do I still have time for applying via that route, as some programmes require an induction during the summer term and I would require a visa for residing and working in the UK for the duration of the programme
- Can the initial interviews be taken via Skype ?Thanks for whatever advice you can provide.
Last edited by Aanchal_2; 4 weeks ago
Di Lloyd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aanchal_2)
Hi everyone,I am a Biotechnology graduate with 5 years teaching experience in Primary IB curriculum. I wish to start with PGCE Biology with QTS this year in September. I want to go through the school direct / salaried route as I will not be eligible for bursaries, being an international student.

My questions are-
-Are overseas candidates eligible for school direct/ salaried route?-
If yes, do they need a work permit at the time of applying?
- Do I still have time for applying via that route, as some programmes require an induction during the summer term and I would require a visa for residing and working in the UK for the duration of the programme
- Can the initial interviews be taken via Skype ?Thanks for whatever advice you can provide.
Hi There Aanchal. Yes you need a work permit and if you get one you can apply. Yes there is still time to apply as we reruit all year. You have to apply to a school who offer salaried so you would have to come for an interview and teach a lesson. So no Skype option that I know of. You do require a visa for one year from August to August.
Aanchal_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Di Lloyd)
Hi There Aanchal. Yes you need a work permit and if you get one you can apply. Yes there is still time to apply as we reruit all year. You have to apply to a school who offer salaried so you would have to come for an interview and teach a lesson. So no Skype option that I know of. You do require a visa for one year from August to August.
Thanks Di Lloyd for the reply. It is really helpful, esp. when I am struggling to find info for overseas applicants.

The thing is, I need a job offer in the UK to apply for the work visa. And apparently I can't apply for the salaried route unless I have a work visa. Isn't this a vicious loop? If you don't have one, you can't get into another!
If the chances of getting a place on the salaried route are high, I can also arrange for a visit for the interview but what if after everything is said and done, I get rejected based on the fact that I do not have a prior UK work visa?
Is the salaried course not an option for overseas applicants? Why advertise it for them then?
Last edited by Aanchal_2; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (286)
34.13%
No (552)
65.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise