The Student Room Group

Can I get in?

Apparently not, it seems I'm her first.

All jokes aside, I've struggled finding the answer to my question online or even through conversation with a number of different universities.

I left sixth form after my first year, having gained 3 AS Levels. A, Chemistry, A, Gov and Politics, B, History. Joined the military, but an unfortunate string of events occurred some while after I completed my training, most significantly of which being medical, which led to me having to leave the service. In the months since then I've earnt a fair bit of money and have also gotten about half way through a personal training course, but am trying to work out what I want in the future, and if going to university to study a degree in the region of Sports Science, Health and Fitness, Nutrition etc. could be a part of that.

Would it be possible and likely that I would be accepted for university, perhaps on a Foundation course? Whilst I understand I don't meet the traditional entry requirements, the grades I do have, including GCSE's, are better than average, along with a lot more life experience and skills than most other candidates, and prior relevant learning and actual work experience in the sector I would be studying (personal training).

If Yes, how do I go about showing universities this. I don't know much about the application process, but I worry just applying through the regular system is going to disadvantage me as I don't have much opportunity to actually explain my situation and my experience, that my grades, or lack thereof, will see me ignored amongst what I imagine is quite a robotic and dismissive system that is in place to review applications.

And yes, I am aware of the options to finish my A-Levels or complete an Access course at college, but I want to know if I could get to uni with what I've already got.

Many thanks for any and all help.
Reply 1
not exactly sure but reckon you could get into a foundation year course with decent as levels, my mate had very bad A-levels not a single C think it was like (E,U,U) did a foundation year then switched to a better uni, not sure if thats any help but many are suprisingly easy to get into
Reply 2
Go back and do year 13?
Original post by RedVan44
Apparently not, it seems I'm her first.

All jokes aside, I've struggled finding the answer to my question online or even through conversation with a number of different universities.

I left sixth form after my first year, having gained 3 AS Levels. A, Chemistry, A, Gov and Politics, B, History. Joined the military, but an unfortunate string of events occurred some while after I completed my training, most significantly of which being medical, which led to me having to leave the service. In the months since then I've earnt a fair bit of money and have also gotten about half way through a personal training course, but am trying to work out what I want in the future, and if going to university to study a degree in the region of Sports Science, Health and Fitness, Nutrition etc. could be a part of that.

Would it be possible and likely that I would be accepted for university, perhaps on a Foundation course? Whilst I understand I don't meet the traditional entry requirements, the grades I do have, including GCSE's, are better than average, along with a lot more life experience and skills than most other candidates, and prior relevant learning and actual work experience in the sector I would be studying (personal training).

If Yes, how do I go about showing universities this. I don't know much about the application process, but I worry just applying through the regular system is going to disadvantage me as I don't have much opportunity to actually explain my situation and my experience, that my grades, or lack thereof, will see me ignored amongst what I imagine is quite a robotic and dismissive system that is in place to review applications.

And yes, I am aware of the options to finish my A-Levels or complete an Access course at college, but I want to know if I could get to uni with what I've already got.

Many thanks for any and all help.

Best thing is to phone Admissions at a couple of the unis that would potentially interest you and ask them for advice. Although doing an Access course would be much cheaper than doing a Foundation year at uni so I would personally pick that route

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending