MrChill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,

I am doing mathematical Economics as one of my 2nd year modules and I am struggling. I will put my hand up and say may be I shouldn't have taken this module (don't want to disclose name of uni) but I have taken it as a challenge and I really want to get a high mark.

Moving forward, if you are doing or have done mathematical economics would you mind sharing your tips, resources (online,books,anything) that you used that helped you, please? I understand some of you might be tempted to lecture me on my naivety to have taken this up but I would rather you help me in some ways constructively.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by MrChill)
Hi all,

I am doing mathematical Economics as one of my 2nd year modules and I am struggling. I will put my hand up and say may be I shouldn't have taken this module (don't want to disclose name of uni) but I have taken it as a challenge and I really want to get a high mark.

Moving forward, if you are doing or have done mathematical economics would you mind sharing your tips, resources (online,books,anything) that you used that helped you, please? I understand some of you might be tempted to lecture me on my naivety to have taken this up but I would rather you help me in some ways constructively.
Could you elaborate on the topics covered in the module? Is it game theory, calculus, linear algebra, etc.? Happy to let you know what worked for me during my econ degree.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 7 months ago
MrChill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
Could you elaborate on the topics covered in the module? Is it game theory, calculus, linear algebra, etc.? Happy to let you know what worked for my during my econ degree.
Thanks Diplomatic.

Yes there are tonnes of calculus and linear algebra. Sometimes when we solve a constrained optimisation problem (lagrangean + calculus), we have to express it in linear algebra (matrix form) for 2nd order conditions and I tend to make mistakes so need more practice. Within Linear Algebra we get eigenvalues, eigenvectors and vectors etc. Also comparative statics, envelope theorem etc with economic interpretations, if possible.

Some of it is probably very easy for others but I feel I need more practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (24)
17.65%
I'm not sure (3)
2.21%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
33.09%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.21%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.85%

Watched Threads