Uni Mental Health Day 2020: Mental Health First Aiders - how does your uni rank?

Watch
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Today (the 5th of March) is University Mental Health Day! :grouphugs:

What is a Mental Health first aider?

"Mental Health First Aiders are individuals who are trained to recognise the early signs of problems such as mounting stress, anxiety or depression and are a trusted point of contact to help someone who needs early intervention. Although they don’t provide therapy or counselling, a Mental Health First Aider offers support to a student by talking to them and encouraging them towards channels for help, such as the university’s wellbeing department or their GP. More and more universities are now choosing to train their staff in mental health first aid and we can now reveal which universities across the UK provide the most mental health support to their students."

Check out the following article to find out more and see which Uni has the most Mental Health first aiders: https://cesafety.co.uk/solving-stude...han-any-other/

How does your uni rank? What do you think can be done to improve the Mental Health support at uni?

(Please note: think carefully before revealing which university you attend/plan to attend as this could reveal your identity unwillingly.)

If you require support with your mental health, please contact your GP, Samaritans, and/or Nightline. If you are in immediate danger, please call 999.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
9 per capita at my current uni. I know they have been rolling out more training, and that the SU are lobbying for all academic tutors to have some form of basic mental health awareness training :yes:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
9 per capita at my current uni. I know they have been rolling out more training, and that the SU are lobbying for all academic tutors to have some form of basic mental health awareness training :yes:
Sounds like they're improving their resources. Do you think anything else could help the MH support at uni?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Sounds like they're improving their resources. Do you think anything else could help the MH support at uni?
I think in the case of my particular uni, making the working environment good enough that staff want to stay would be beneficial for all. There's a high turnover of staff in our disability office, which is very disruptive to vulnerable students at the best of times :sadnod:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.7%
England (141)
34.56%
Belgium (31)
7.6%
Germany (41)
10.05%
Spain (9)
2.21%