The Student Room Group

LSE vs Trinity college dublin (Maths w Econ vs Maths)

Hello all,
as title would indicate I am choosing between LsE for maths w Econ (already have offer) and trinity college dublin for maths (providing I get god enough a levels this summer). What I'd like to know is a) which will provide me with better job prospects/opportunity to do a Masters (maybe in USA) b) Which will have a better quality of life (have heard LsE can be quite dire and I'd have more money to spend in Dublin due to reduced fees). I'd probably like to go into finance after uni but while I'm at university I'd like a place where I'm able to try new things and also play music!!
Original post by ScullerSam
Hello all,
as title would indicate I am choosing between LsE for maths w Econ (already have offer) and trinity college dublin for maths (providing I get god enough a levels this summer). What I'd like to know is a) which will provide me with better job prospects/opportunity to do a Masters (maybe in USA) b) Which will have a better quality of life (have heard LsE can be quite dire and I'd have more money to spend in Dublin due to reduced fees). I'd probably like to go into finance after uni but while I'm at university I'd like a place where I'm able to try new things and also play music!!

Both very good. LSE is a stronger choice if you're interested in IB. If you want to go to the Big 4 instead then realistically it isn't going to make a difference, but you'll be making a couple more doors a bit easier to enter with LSE if you're undecided.

I imagine the social life is better at Trinity, and a First from there is potentially more fruitful than a 2:1 at LSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Diplomatic
Both very good. LSE is a stronger choice if you're interested in IB. If you want to go to the Big 4 instead then realistically it isn't going to make a difference, but you'll be making a couple more doors a bit easier to enter with LSE if you're undecided.

I imagine the social life is better at Trinity, and a First from there is potentially more fruitful than a 2:1 at LSE.

Thanks! Would I be able to get onto a masters programme at an Ivy league with either choice? If so which is more likely to provide this opportunity?
Original post by ScullerSam
Thanks! Would I be able to get onto a masters programme at an Ivy league with either choice? If so which is more likely to provide this opportunity?

I am from Ireland and am very surprised that this is even a question. Trinity seems to have a big reputation outside of Ireland. Realistically if you are a graduate from Trinity, UCD or UCC you will have similar job prospects in Ireland. I would strongly recommend LSE from an academic standpoint, and a career prospects standpoint. In terms of social life? Dublin is very good and Trinity is very central. I would still go for LSE all day every day if you have the choice and the fees aren’t an issue. Having said that, Trinity is a very good university and you will have good prospects from either degree.
Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest