The Student Room Group

future transport and energy

hi,
i was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about ''what could be the next leap for technology in regards to energy and future travel''
it is for a competition for British science week
any ideas let me know!
id have thought maybe hydrogen, or fusion. The aim is to be carbon free, so possibly even further development of existing green technologies must be considered.
Reply 2
For transport it’s already here. The move to electric vehicles and essentially the centralisation of transport (the state can now know exactly how much you travel and within a range where). The more renewable grid in tandem.

For energy it’s fusion. We produced nuclear fusion for seconds here in the UK at JET and are now building ITER in France which will produce it for years. If it’s successful then it can be replicated commercially in the 2050’s/2060’s.
Reply 3
Original post by Rakas21

For energy it’s fusion. We produced nuclear fusion for seconds here in the UK at JET and are now building ITER in France which will produce it for years. If it’s successful then it can be replicated commercially in the 2050’s/2060’s.

Aye but the problem with fusion has always been being able to make it commercially viable, something that (as you note, to a point) is decades away.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
Aye but the problem with fusion has always been being able to make it commercially viable, something that (as you note, to a point) is decades away.

Well I don't think we actually produced it until JET and it seems like it's takes a good decade to actually build the plant. In theory though if ITER works it should be viable but we won't be able to say that until the mid-2030's.
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
Well I don't think we actually produced it until JET and it seems like it's takes a good decade to actually build the plant. In theory though if ITER works it should be viable but we won't be able to say that until the mid-2030's.

My memory on this could be out so feel free to correct me but to knowledge the main issue with fusion at present isnt so much initiating it - after all using the soviet 'doughnut' design was quite effective but the issue was it used more energy to initiate and sustain than we could actually get out of it?
But either way it will be a great break through if and when we perfect it.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
My memory on this could be out so feel free to correct me but to knowledge the main issue with fusion at present isnt so much initiating it - after all using the soviet 'doughnut' design was quite effective but the issue was it used more energy to initiate and sustain than we could actually get out of it?
But either way it will be a great break through if and when we perfect it.

Yes, that’s what ITER is supposed to demonstrate. In theory it should produce years of power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending