Should I be embarrassed about the music that I like and influences me.

Watch
Lil_Swifty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey student room. I know this title seems rather cliche almost but I just wanted to sort of consult everyone.

I am a budding musician with A LOT of influences that range from Ska to obscure songs from the 50s and genres that not even Spotify acknowledges. Recently I began listening to Lana Del Rey and immediately got judged by my friends for her being a basic pop singer who is only listened to by teenage girls. I’m not afraid to show some femininity and feel it’s one of my strong points but this particular instance shocked.

Anyway I’m rambling but this is the first time I’ve been embarrassed about music I’ve listened to and I’ve listened to weird ****. Over the past few weeks I feel like her music has influenced me in a great way, with things in producing sounding more... unique? Should I tell my friends how their idea of her and her portrayal in the media is only surface level and that I have every right to be a fan?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah, just ignore them.

People think I sacrifice goats and pray to Satan because I listen to metal, which isn't the case.
Regardless of what you listen to, someone's bound to say something.
Lil_Swifty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Nah, just ignore them.

People think I sacrifice goats and pray to Satan because I listen to metal, which isn't the case.
Regardless of what you listen to, someone's bound to say something.
I’ve always been open to any music. I’ll never discriminate because of music taste even if I don’t like the music... usually my friends are the same but this time sort of caught me off guard.

Hopefully they drop it xD
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nah, **** em

never apologise. no such thing as guilty pleasures etc. If you close yourself off, you miss out - their loss
RobertHoch
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, don't apologise for the music you're in to. Don't listen to them, and keep enjoying the music you like! Btw, Lana Del Rey is great.
HedgePig
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I hope you don’t mind me asking, but if you don’t listen to metal then what is the reason you sacrifice goats and pray to Satan?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HedgePig)
I hope you don’t mind me asking, but if you don’t listen to metal then what is the reason you sacrifice goats and pray to Satan?
Very funny.
amy.iris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you definitely shouldn’t be embarrassed. Music can be incredibly powerful and influential no matter what genre or artists. i listen to bts and get judged constantly for it. i used to be embarrassed but then i realised that their music has helped me a lot and i enjoy listening to them so why should i care what other people’s opinions are, especially when those people often don’t give the artist or genre a genuine chance and are blinded by their prejudice.
YUSLP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well if you aint heard MeatLoafs classic.

You SHOULD be ashamed.

Peace out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (302)
34.28%
No (579)
65.72%

Watched Threads