Timzy7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I've got offers from Bath, Loughborough, Kings and Queen mary. I will firm Bath and try to Adjust to Warwick but I don't know who to insure. Kings or Loughborough?
Last edited by Timzy7; 8 months ago
adry_hos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
First of all, if i were you i would have firmed Kings as it is better at CS than any of the over unis you mentioned (Based on most Rankings) and secondly, Kings and Loughborough don't even compare. The only reason you might choose the latter is because you don't think London is for you. Unless that's an issue, Kings is the obvious choice.
MoltenFool
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Can you also mention what grades you sent them and what offer did they give you back??
blackthrn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by adry_hos)
First of all, if i were you i would have firmed Kings as it is better at CS than any of the over unis you mentioned (Based on most Rankings) and secondly, Kings and Loughborough don't even compare. The only reason you might choose the latter is because you don't think London is for you. Unless that's an issue, Kings is the obvious choice.
kings is only better for cs in world rankings - for undergrad, national rankings such as cug are more important, in which bath is 9th and kings is 18th. bath is also above kings in the guardian rankings. kings has 79% student satisfaction whereas bath has 94%.
adry_hos
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by blackthrn)
kings is only better for cs in world rankings - for undergrad, national rankings such as cug are more important, in which bath is 9th and kings is 18th. bath is also above kings in the guardian rankings. kings has 79% student satisfaction whereas bath has 94%.
Fair enough but the low student satisfaction is caused by location, i think.
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Fair enough but the low student satisfaction is caused by location, i think.
it’s also due to slow feedback on work and generally bad marking and assessment criteria
adry_hos
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it’s also due to slow feedback on work and generally bad marking and assessment criteria
have you studied cs at kings?
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
have you studied cs at kings?
no, but i have the ability to view the national student survey, as does everyone else
HedgePig
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
no, but i have the ability to view the national student survey, as does everyone else
I don’t mean to hijack the thread but could you tell me where one get access to the comments? I’d be very interested to see more details.
MoltenFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Timzy7)
So I've got offers from Bath, Loughborough, Kings and Queen mary. I will firm Bath and try to Adjust to Warwick but I don't know who to insure. Kings or Loughborough?
I would really appreciate it if you told me what the grades you sent and what offer you got as I am still waiting for a reply from kings.
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by HedgePig)
I don’t mean to hijack the thread but could you tell me where one get access to the comments? I’d be very interested to see more details.
on discoveruni, it used to be called unistats. there’s the overall satisfaction then a breakdown of specific areas. it also contains graduate salary, employment and dropout rate.
bsc computer science at kings
j2owhg7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey guys, for any of you that are doing a level computer science and are stuck with the pre released tasks from CIE, I found this link which is very good and offers support via discord!

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...-9608-12262414
HedgePig
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
on discoveruni
Thank you!
adry_hos
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
on discoveruni, it used to be called unistats. there’s the overall satisfaction then a breakdown of specific areas. it also contains graduate salary, employment and dropout rate.
talking about course satisfaction, I checked out another site called theuniguide that provides rankings based on similar criteria and saw how poorly UCL ranked at cs. Before I thought that if I'd get an offer from UCL I'd go there instead of Kings but now i'm in doubt. What do you think matter more, the international rankings or these ones?
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
talking about course satisfaction, I checked out another site called theuniguide that provides rankings based on similar criteria and saw how poorly UCL ranked at cs. Before I thought that if I'd get an offer from UCL I'd go there instead of Kings but now i'm in doubt. What do you think matter more, the international rankings or these ones?
for undergrad, always go for national rankings. cug and the guardian are probably best. look on discoveruni for detailed student satisfaction. i personally didn’t apply to ucl due to its terrible student satisfaction, even though i loved it when i visited.
adry_hos
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
for undergrad, always go for national rankings. cug and the guardian are probably best. look on discoveruni for detailed student satisfaction. i personally didn’t apply to ucl due to its terrible student satisfaction, even though i loved it when i visited.
now I feel really dumb. I was really looking forward to getting an offer from ucl...
Timzy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoltenFool)
I would really appreciate it if you told me what the grades you sent and what offer you got as I am still waiting for a reply from kings.
AAB
A - Maths
A - Physics
B - Geography
Timzy7
Rep:
?
I think I'll now firm kings, but still adjust to Warwick. And by the way, I live in London. It's pretty nice and I won't mind going to Kings. But Warwick or Southampton are who I'm aiming for through adjustment. As of now, I'm predicted AAB and my offer from Kings was ABB. I can easily exceed that, especially in Maths and probably geography, so I'm just hoping there will be spaces at Warwick for Compsci
MoltenFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Timzy7)
I think I'll now firm kings, but still adjust to Warwick. And by the way, I live in London. It's pretty nice and I won't mind going to Kings. But Warwick or Southampton are who I'm aiming for through adjustment. As of now, I'm predicted AAB and my offer from Kings was ABB. I can easily exceed that, especially in Maths and probably geography, so I'm just hoping there will be spaces at Warwick for Compsci
wait I am confused are you sure this is the regular computer science undergrad for kings? It says on their website the offer is usually AAA, I applied with AABB.
Timzy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoltenFool)
wait I am confused are you sure this is the regular computer science undergrad for kings? It says on their website the offer is usually AAA, I applied with AABB.
they gave me a contextual offer, 2 grades lower. Really wasn't expecting it to be honest. And yes, it is the regular computer science offer.
Last edited by Timzy7; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads