Leiden University: Global Challenges Bachelor Programme

Watch
kxatee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone. I'm currently having a really hard time deciding between the PPLE course offered at the University of Amsterdam and the Liberal Arts and Sciences (Global Challenges) programme at Leiden University. I will probably pursue law in either course, but I, unfortunately, haven't been able to find enough information on the Global Challenges programme and what other students think of it yet.I would really appreciate any answer from someone who's heard of the programme or is currently enrolled in it. How is a liberal arts and sciences education received in the Netherlands? I know it doesn't have the best reputation in some US states (and partially the UK) but perhaps the situation is different in the rest of Europe. Also, does the programme have a good reputation? If you're currently enrolled in it, do you regret your decision or was it worth it? I would really, really appreciate any answer on the subject! )
iDiegoP
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kxatee)
Hey everyone. I'm currently having a really hard time deciding between the PPLE course offered at the University of Amsterdam and the Liberal Arts and Sciences (Global Challenges) programme at Leiden University. I will probably pursue law in either course, but I, unfortunately, haven't been able to find enough information on the Global Challenges programme and what other students think of it yet.I would really appreciate any answer from someone who's heard of the programme or is currently enrolled in it. How is a liberal arts and sciences education received in the Netherlands? I know it doesn't have the best reputation in some US states (and partially the UK) but perhaps the situation is different in the rest of Europe. Also, does the programme have a good reputation? If you're currently enrolled in it, do you regret your decision or was it worth it? I would really, really appreciate any answer on the subject! )
Oh my lordy lord. You are literally in the same position as me. I have received an offer from PPLE and I am waiting for a response from LUC. Both of them are incredible options with a very high reputation.

I wouldn't personally look at LUC as getting a "liberal arts" degree, as you will major in something else, with the option of getting a minor as well.
Academically speaking, I believe PPLE has a higher academic reputation, being in top 50 in all the 4 subjects. At the end you will major in one of the 4, but you will get also 3 minors which could come in very handy for the future. (UvA is ranked 25th in social sciences in the world according to THE rankings) On the other hand, LUC is also very high ranked (60) for social sciences/sociology, but you will only major in one thing.
LUC on the bright side, has the advantage of being in The Hague, which increases your chances to find an internship related with law (ICC and ICJ are in The Hague). Literally, The Hague is the most emblematic city and the heart of Europe for politics/law. I watched videos and quite a few students were able to find internships with help of the University.
From what I have researched, PPLE has a more active social life with AIM PPLE and a wide variety of clubs and activities to do all year long, which is very cool. LUC has fortuna but, they are not as active as AIM PPLE.
But in LUC everybody lives almost literally face to face, as all LUC students live in the same building for student accommodation, making it easy to have a place to live for a very affordable price and creating a unique sense of community if you are able to "click" with your flat mates.

I hope this info helps. And if you make up your mind, tell me as well, because as I said before I am literally in the same position as you!

Cheers.
marimekko1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I just applied to PPLE and I'm thinking of applying to LUC for Global Challenges also, but the only thing stopping me is the application and the number of students they accept to the program. I think its around 600? I'm probably wrong.

Has one of you been to the Open days at either unis?
kxatee
Rep:
?
(Original post by iDiegoP)
Oh my lordy lord. You are literally in the same position as me. I have received an offer from PPLE and I am waiting for a response from LUC. Both of them are incredible options with a very high reputation.

I wouldn't personally look at LUC as getting a "liberal arts" degree, as you will major in something else, with the option of getting a minor as well.
Academically speaking, I believe PPLE has a higher academic reputation, being in top 50 in all the 4 subjects. At the end you will major in one of the 4, but you will get also 3 minors which could come in very handy for the future. (UvA is ranked 25th in social sciences in the world according to THE rankings) On the other hand, LUC is also very high ranked (60) for social sciences/sociology, but you will only major in one thing.
LUC on the bright side, has the advantage of being in The Hague, which increases your chances to find an internship related with law (ICC and ICJ are in The Hague). Literally, The Hague is the most emblematic city and the heart of Europe for politics/law. I watched videos and quite a few students were able to find internships with help of the University.
From what I have researched, PPLE has a more active social life with AIM PPLE and a wide variety of clubs and activities to do all year long, which is very cool. LUC has fortuna but, they are not as active as AIM PPLE.
But in LUC everybody lives almost literally face to face, as all LUC students live in the same building for student accommodation, making it easy to have a place to live for a very affordable price and creating a unique sense of community if you are able to "click" with your flat mates.

I hope this info helps. And if you make up your mind, tell me as well, because as I said before I am literally in the same position as you!

Cheers.
Thank you so much for your response! It was super helpful to get more info on both programmes, although I'm still very much unsure as to which one I'll end up choosing. I guess it will depend a lot on wether or not I recieve the Holland scholarship for LUC? I also think your point about The Hague is so interesting, perhaps it's a slightly better option considering internships are super important in law, and also since it's cheaper as well. But then again, Amsterdam might be worth it simply due to the higher academic ranking of the PPLE programme (as you mentioned). Literally both are such good options the choice is killing me.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my situation though! I'll let you know once I'm more or less sure of my decision.
kxatee
Rep:
?
(Original post by marimekko1234)
Hi

I just applied to PPLE and I'm thinking of applying to LUC for Global Challenges also, but the only thing stopping me is the application and the number of students they accept to the program. I think its around 600? I'm probably wrong.

Has one of you been to the Open days at either unis?
I haven't been to either

I wish I could though since it would've probably made my choice a lot easier. In terms of the application process to LUC I wouldn't say it's too bad personally. The motivation letter form is a bit long, but apart from that it's not really any harder then the PPLE application process. I'm honestly not sure on the number of students as well, but I think both programmes are more or less equally small and selective.
marimekko1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kxatee)
I haven't been to either

I wish I could though since it would've probably made my choice a lot easier. In terms of the application process to LUC I wouldn't say it's too bad personally. The motivation letter form is a bit long, but apart from that it's not really any harder then the PPLE application process. I'm honestly not sure on the number of students as well, but I think both programmes are more or less equally small and selective.
Me neither.

Its exactly the motivation letter form and the LUC questions that bothers me. PPLE was smooth and simple like UCAS.

Good luck <3
blixem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I am from The Netherlands and I applied for LUC the Hague as well! Have you already heard someting about the interviews? I haven't been to the open day either (was planning to but well.... corona) but I love the city!
kxatee
Rep:
?
(Original post by blixem)
Hello, I am from The Netherlands and I applied for LUC the Hague as well! Have you already heard someting about the interviews? I haven't been to the open day either (was planning to but well.... corona) but I love the city!
Yes! Since I applied to the Early Bird deadline I already did the interview wayy back. It wasn't too bad, the lady was very nice and she just asked me about extracurriculars, why LUC, challenges you've faced etc. If you could, can you tell me more about The Hague as well? I've heard good things about it so far!
hawazy2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
does anyone know what kind of grades the global challenges program wants? (speaking as an IB student, my predicted grades are 36 which are likely to be my final grades due to the whole corona thing)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
16.94%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32.26%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.68%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.48%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.84%
I think it's an unfair expectation (30)
24.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.61%

Watched Threads