The Student Room Group

Can you see/imagine pictures in your head when your reading?

Apparently some people can't see/imagine pictures in their heads minds when reading?

Apparently its called aphantasia - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054

Can you see/form/imagine a picture when reading? :smile:

I can up to a point imagine things when reading descriptive text in say a fantasy book, but the image I' imagining can be a bit faint/blurry depending on how in depth the description is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
Apparently some people can't see/imagine pictures in their heads minds when reading?

I can up to a point imagine things when reading descriptive text in say a fantasy book, but the image I' imagining can be a bit faint/blurry depending on how in depth the description is.

nope
Original post by fiftythree
nope

Interesting - so lets say you were reading a descriptive piece about a forest you'd only see the words? :tongue:
Yes, only when I’m reading fiction though. Non fiction or articles is no. I can’t imagine people running around from a fire because I don’t expect my brain to make that up? It’s real life so my brain is like, no, don’t imagine that. (That made no sense but I said it anyways).
What i can do no matter what though, is imagine music videos to songs.
Reply 4
I picture things when reading. If you don't then the story won't come alive.
Yes. Virtually always slip straight through to an immersive experience. Makes it difficult to analyse writing as I can be un-aware as to the technical aspects of the writing. Also makes me very selective as to subject matter... there's limits to what I want to put in my virtual universe.
Original post by watershower
Yes, only when I’m reading fiction though. Non fiction or articles is no. I can’t imagine people running around from a fire because I don’t expect my brain to make that up? It’s real life so my brain is like, no, don’t imagine that. (That made no sense but I said it anyways).
What i can do no matter what though, is imagine music videos to songs.

Thats an interesting way with the music videos to songs
:undefined:five with not being able to picture non fiction stuff (its easier if I've seen the object in real life though I think)
Original post by Bio 7
I picture things when reading. If you don't then the story won't come alive.

When you imagine things is the picture quite detailed / clear? Mines quite fuzzy when I imagine things whilst reading :dontknow:
Original post by Dee-Emma
Yes. Virtually always slip straight through to an immersive experience. Makes it difficult to analyse writing as I can be un-aware as to the technical aspects of the writing. Also makes me very selective as to subject matter... there's limits to what I want to put in my virtual universe.

Hmm that's interesting thing you bring up analysing creative writing :smile: like the best thing is with books and imagining what it could look like it you can create a room for example in a way that makes sense by an individual.
Reply 7
Hmm that's interesting thing you bring up analysing creative writing :smile: like the best thing is with books and imagining what it could look like it you can create a room for example in a way that makes sense by an individual.

It depends. Sometimes it's clear and the next time I read it it's the same and sometimes I just have a sense of it. I tend not to imagine faces so much in shorter stories but a long series I can.
Depends if I am reading for meaning or reading for pleasure
yep
Reply 10
Not always. I have a mate that has aphantasia, actually, he can't see them ever

i would love to have that for reading revision notes before an exam!!

But isn't it called your imagination?
:smile:
Original post by kittyfifi123456
i would love to have that for reading revision notes before an exam!!

But isn't it called your imagination?

I know there's one called Photogenic memory which can help people remember really detailed stuff
Yeah it does sound dead useful wish I had one :lol:

Had a quick research and the one where you can see images in your mind is something called ' aphantasia' :tongue:

Spoiler

I know there's one called Photogenic memory which can help people remember really detailed stuff
Yeah it does sound dead useful wish I had one :lol:

Had a quick research and the one where you can see images in your mind is something called ' aphantasia' :tongue:

Spoiler

Wow that article was cool!!
wish i had it ...

oh yeah! - i was wondering if you had any really good vocabulary that i can use for my descriptive writing as I am running out of ideas...
Original post by gjd800
Not always. I have a mate that has aphantasia, actually, he can't see them ever

Some people in my class have it too :tongue: The mind is a curious thing :yes:
Original post by Glaz
yep

:undefined:five

you should do psychology...
Reply 16

Yeah, he doesn't get 'earworms' either. He can go through a song's lyrics in his head but doesn't experience the music or rhythm etc. It's mad.
Yes, it really depends on the description though. Sometimes I'll get a clear, detailed image of what I'm reading, other times it can be more of a vague impression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending