The Student Room Group

LibDems: Women make up 5% of the prison population and that is too many

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngeryPenguin
So these are not concentration camps.

no they are not. Concentration camps inter innocent people who have not committed a crime for unjust reasons and with the conditions of said camps typically not being very sanitary, think what china has been doing to the Uyghurs and other people the state doesnt like. What these women are in is a prison, for just reasons because they have broken the law and although the conditions might not be great they are humane.
Original post by DiddyDec
Of the 300 people who died in prison last year 8 were women.

Of the 86 self inflicted deaths, 5 were women.

The fundamental problems is with the criminal justice system and prisons especially is a chronic lack of funding. This stops prisons from providing proper facilities that care for prisoners needs physically and mentally. Many prisons are in such disrepair that they are not even hit for human habitation.

It is incredibly shortsighted to focus on the "women have it worse" rhetoric when the simple fact is most prisons are not fit for purpose in the first place.

The entire CJS needs reform from the police, to courts, all the way to sentencing outcomes. Focusing on one tiny aspect will not solve anything.

I think also that just show cases that our criminal justice system is drastically biased in favour of women and that we need to see some reform. Becuase although i do believe men are have a higher tenancy to commit crimes biologically, we aren't 20X more likely.
Original post by Ragman75
I think also that just show cases that our criminal justice system is drastically biased in favour of women and that we need to see some reform. Becuase although i do believe men are have a higher tenancy to commit crimes biologically, we aren't 20X more likely.

Men are far more likely to commit crime, the whole system needs reform. That is an opinion echoed by nearly everyone involved in the CJS but it would take money and the Tories hate spending money on public services. It is much easier to shout about new prisons and longer sentencing than actually sort the mess out.
Well Daisy Cooper is half right.
Prison should only be the criminal justice system's last resort for habitual criminals and all those who have "committed serious crimes or pose a threat to the public".
Regardless of their biological sex.
Men are far more likely to commit crime, the whole system needs reform. That is an opinion echoed by nearly everyone involved in the CJS but it would take money and the Tories hate spending money on public services. It is much easier to shout about new prisons and longer sentencing than actually sort the mess out.

Do you really believe that men are far more likely to commit crimes?
As opposed to far more likely to get caught during/after the crime.
Or admit to whatever criminality they have done (at the police station/court, to their lawyer, friends or the victim).
Even the former UK government admits that the UK legal system is mistreating vulnerable people. Can we consider UK prisons to be concentration camps for women?

‘Mistreating vulnerable people’ - I agree with that to some extent yes

‘U.K. prisons to be concentration camps for women’ don’t agree with that, what about male prisons?

It probably would, but more so we need general social attitude change, especially from feminist. In that we need to stop seeing women as only victims and men as only perpetrators, and in and realise that women can victimise men as well; or just that they can be fully capable perpetrators that don't need sympathy or to be let off.
Original post by londonmyst
Or admit to whatever criminality they have done (at the police station/court, to their lawyer, friends or the victim).

Yes, men are far more likely to commit crime and act violently. There is a strong link between violence and testosterone.
Yes, men are far more likely to commit crime and act violently. There is a strong link between violence and testosterone.

Hey waman are just as good at committing crime as men how dare you
It probably would, but more so we need general social attitude change, especially from feminist. In that we need to stop seeing women as only victims and men as only perpetrators, and in and realise that women can victimise men as well; or just that they can be fully capable perpetrators that don't need sympathy or to be let off.

I agree with most of your points about needing societal change.
I can't fathom why so many are yet to get to grips with the fact that evil people, domestic abusers and vicious criminals can all be any biological sex.
There have been so many infamous British criminal cases with evil female perpetrators; from killer hate criminal Ruby Thomas (London's first convicted gay-basher), national action terrorist Claudia Patatas, Berlinah Wallace, Joanna Dennehy, Myra Hindley and Rosemary West.
Of the 300 people who died in prison last year 8 were women.

Of the 86 self inflicted deaths, 5 were women.

The fundamental problems is with the criminal justice system and prisons especially is a chronic lack of funding. This stops prisons from providing proper facilities that care for prisoners needs physically and mentally. Many prisons are in such disrepair that they are not even hit for human habitation.

It is incredibly shortsighted to focus on the "women have it worse" rhetoric when the simple fact is most prisons are not fit for purpose in the first place.

The entire CJS needs reform from the police, to courts, all the way to sentencing outcomes. Focusing on one tiny aspect will not solve anything.

Yep, absolutely. The prison I go to was slated in a report some 7 or so years ago because the place was so awful to live in, plenty of cells had no windows, broken glass everywhere, rats, poor sanitation. Luckily it's improved in that aspect but it's still pretty grim.
I agree with most of your points about needing societal change.
I can't fathom why so many are yet to get to grips with the fact that evil people, domestic abusers and vicious criminals can all be any biological sex.
There have been so many infamous British criminal cases with evil female perpetrators; from killer hate criminal Ruby Thomas (London's first convicted gay-basher), national action terrorist Claudia Patatas, Berlinah Wallace, Joanna Dennehy, Myra Hindley and Rosemary West.

simple one word "feminism", they are the foremost authority on how each gender is perceived in polite society, but the ideology has no mechanism for seeing women as being the ones in the wrong at all. To the feminist women can only ever do wrong if they are encouraged by a man or some masculine system, the woman or femininity can never be the cause of evil in their eyes. Therefore when they lead society in this respect society can never see women as evil.
The UK executes its own citizens too - they just do it in countries they have invaded. Drone strikes.

No, that is war and we kill foreign citizens. China however likes to kill their own innocent people whether in a war or non-war situation. The CCP can go to hell for all I care, they are one of the many demons walking on the face of this earth
simple one word "feminism", they are the foremost authority on how each gender is perceived in polite society, but the ideology has no mechanism for seeing women as being the ones in the wrong at all. To the feminist women can only ever do wrong if they are encouraged by a man or some masculine system, the woman or femininity can never be the cause of evil in their eyes. Therefore when they lead society in this respect society can never see women as evil.

But the attitude extends far beyond the adherents of feminism and gender related identity politics.
So many socially conservative judges who are bitterly hostile to feminism and into traditionalist religion.
Yet openly refuse to send women to prison while admitting that they would not hesitate to impose a long custodial sentence upon a male convicted of the same offence.
Sometimes its religious zeal, misplaced chivalry or just an idiot that been duped by the lies & manipulation of a 'fallen angel' of the female variety.

Men are probably more likely to commit violent crime, but that doesn’t mean women are less likely to commit crime. I do think men are just a bit more reckless and haphazard in general. I remember reading a statistic that women are just as likely to cheat, but much less likely to get caught. I think women are better at covering their tracks in general; they can also flirt or play the victim, which men can’t do.

Yes I believe thats her whole point and the stats bear it out.
Original post by adam271
Hey waman are just as good at committing crime as men how dare you

I believe that women are often much better at avoiding being caught, fabricating alibis that are very difficult to utterly refute and more skilled at sticking to their story/never confessing. :tongue:
I'm female.
Original post by The RAR
No, that is war and we kill foreign citizens. China however likes to kill their own innocent people whether in a war or non-war situation. The CCP can go to hell for all I care, they are one of the many demons walking on the face of this earth

And yet the CCP under Deng Xiaoping and his successors have pulled more people out of poverty than all other countries combined.
I am usually a big fan of intervention but with the likes of China and Saudi Arabia I am against it. I would even be open for North Korea to join the international community and keep their dictatorship as long as they stopped threatning nuclear war.

I am not a fan of imposing our western democratic system on other countries because what works for us does not work for others.
Look at Africa most of the countries are democracies (in name anyway) yet rely on us for aid.

If it wasn't for the British ruining China and causing the collaspe of the Qing dynasty we probably would not even have the CCP anyway.
Also we barely gave any support to Chiang-Kai-Shek when he should of easily gained control of China partly again due to our meddling while the soviet union was pouring in aid for the communists.
I believe that women are often much better at avoiding being caught, fabricating alibis that are very difficult to utterly refute and more skilled at sticking to their story/never confessing. :tongue:
I'm female.

I suspect the best master criminals are old white ladies.
Perfect guise for a hitlady or mastertheif.
Even the former UK government admits that the UK legal system is mistreating vulnerable people. Can we consider UK prisons to be concentration camps for women?

:banghead:
Misandry is a bad thing, or have you forgotten?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending