Ministry of defence DIO dog handler

Watch this thread
daisylindley
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I’m looking at a job as a DIO dog handler at the ministry of defence. It’s a civilian security officer and it says that the job is patrols with dogs, giving security passes checking vehicles etc. I’m just wanting more information on the dog section of stuff as it is a dog handler does that mean you take the dog home and it is yours and how much of the job is with the dog? help please!
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi

As that role is part of the Military Guard Services then it's not specifically any part of the three armed forces, as such. I'm not sure anyone will have any further information about the specifics of that particular role, but I could be wrong. Is there a contact number on the job advert you can call? Or an email address etc?

It's unlikely you'll have the dog at home, military working dogs live on station usually, but again, I can't say whether that's the case for this particular role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
daisylindley
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey thank you, I can’t find a number or any more information from what I’ve already found out.
Do you know if any part of the armed forces does require you to own the dog yourself? Do you have anymore information on dog handlers/canine squads in the armed forces?
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by daisylindley)
Hey thank you, I can’t find a number or any more information from what I’ve already found out.
Do you know if any part of the armed forces does require you to own the dog yourself? Do you have anymore information on dog handlers/canine squads in the armed forces?
Hi

If you want to do dog handling duties in the RAF then the RAF Police role is the one to look at:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...ion/raf-police

You won't own the dog yourself, that's unlikely in any dog section, they're working dogs and are likely to be working alongside many different handlers etc.

It doesn't stop you having a dog yourself when you're in service though, of course.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by daisylindley)
What I've found anecdotally from various dog sections I've seen / worked with is that handlers have to treat the dogs as working dogs through their (the dog's) working life, so the dog will live on service kennels throughout. None of them requires you to own the dog.

Once that dog retires, however, the handler who's been most associated with them will often (though not always) adopt them to give them a proper few final years of being a pet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.16%
The paper was reasonable (227)
42.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.07%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
5.86%

Watched Threads