Rossagle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am preparing some responses to interview questions and I have not found the answer to this question. I have looked in a book, "Learning to Teach in the Primary school" and can't find the answer... I've also done a google search and tons of Primary school websites say they have a connected curriculum but none of them actually say what it is.

I'd guess it's just making each subject relate to another as much as possible?

I can't think of a good example though... only that you would use maths in science for number stuff.

Or maybe... I don't know.. if you were learning about the Egyptian alphabet you could relate it to our alphabet or language?

You see... my ideas are lame. Does anyone know what the actual answer to this question is?

Thanks!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apparently, a connected curriculum includes "big ideas, subject-to-subject links, pedagogical links and concept links".

It's not a term I'm familiar with in secondary, but I'd suggest it includes links in terms of skills (e.g. using maths and literacy skills in other subjects), linking topics between subjects e.g. a geography topic on rainforests could link to a biology topic on ecosystems and adaptations. Big ideas are all about "this is the key idea of the topic and this is the road map for how to get there". I think it also includes ideas like meta-cognition (thinking about how we learn and what we have learnt/will learn) and using a mix of pedagogical styles, so a mix of teacher led and discovery learning.

Hope this helps a bit!
Rossagle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Apparently, a connected curriculum includes "big ideas, subject-to-subject links, pedagogical links and concept links".

It's not a term I'm familiar with in secondary, but I'd suggest it includes links in terms of skills (e.g. using maths and literacy skills in other subjects), linking topics between subjects e.g. a geography topic on rainforests could link to a biology topic on ecosystems and adaptations. Big ideas are all about "this is the key idea of the topic and this is the road map for how to get there". I think it also includes ideas like meta-cognition (thinking about how we learn and what we have learnt/will learn) and using a mix of pedagogical styles, so a mix of teacher led and discovery learning.

Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks. It helps a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (286)
34.13%
No (552)
65.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise