Funkytinuke
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is the difference between a protist and a parasite
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi a protist is a generic term for a very simple organism that is unicellular, and performs its physiological processes using diffusion alone for movement of substances into and out of the organism, and within its own cell.

A parasite is defined as an organism that lives on or within another living organism from which it derives benefit e.g. nutritional gain, and usually results in damage to the host organism in the form of disease. Parasites can include some protists e.g. the malaria parasite or plasmodium [which is a protozoon [plural protozoa]], but can also be larger organisms such as tapeworms [Taenia sagittarium] living within the human intestine and "stealing our food" or Onchocerca volvulus, a parasite that exists in the human eye. A parasite that can live in a living or dead host is called a facultative parasite, while one that requires its host to be alive is an obligative parasite.

Hope this helps!
M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (38)
29.69%
Take a gap year (18)
14.06%
Resit my exams (34)
26.56%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
14.06%
I don't know yet (14)
10.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.69%

Watched Threads