?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the difference between a protist and a parasite
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi a protist is a generic term for a very simple organism that is unicellular, and performs its physiological processes using diffusion alone for movement of substances into and out of the organism, and within its own cell.

A parasite is defined as an organism that lives on or within another living organism from which it derives benefit e.g. nutritional gain, and usually results in damage to the host organism in the form of disease. Parasites can include some protists e.g. the malaria parasite or plasmodium [which is a protozoon [plural protozoa]], but can also be larger organisms such as tapeworms [Taenia sagittarium] living within the human intestine and "stealing our food" or Onchocerca volvulus, a parasite that exists in the human eye. A parasite that can live in a living or dead host is called a facultative parasite, while one that requires its host to be alive is an obligative parasite.

Hope this helps!
M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (111)
40.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.66%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
6.99%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (62)
22.79%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.99%

Watched Threads