Direction in Life

Watch
Jedimonkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm on a really bad course at uni (Film Production). I hate it. I have no interest in it or MO. I don't really attend my lectures or anything. I just do the essays and that's it. I'm sticking it through just to get the degree and then I'm outta there. I finish my second year in 3-4 weeks (I know. It's sooooo early. That's how bad my course is). In the meantime, I have started my own Youtube channel to make my own films and videos. I absolutely love Film Making. I did so well in college and enjoyed it sooo much. I want to learn so much more but I can't at uni...so I'm teaching myself.

However, I feel I'm at the stage where I can try to make money from my skills. How would one do this is a film related industry.

Also, I'm not really making as many films as I'd like. Ideally I'd like to be filming everyday and producing a few videos a month. However I'm barely doing that. My lifestyle has become sooo bad since starting uni. I'm putting on weight and getting fat. I'm barely leaving the house...etc.

Any advice on how I can get my life back on track?
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jedimonkey)
I'm on a really bad course at uni (Film Production). I hate it. I have no interest in it or MO. I don't really attend my lectures or anything. I just do the essays and that's it. I'm sticking it through just to get the degree and then I'm outta there. I finish my second year in 3-4 weeks (I know. It's sooooo early. That's how bad my course is). In the meantime, I have started my own Youtube channel to make my own films and videos. I absolutely love Film Making. I did so well in college and enjoyed it sooo much. I want to learn so much more but I can't at uni...so I'm teaching myself.

However, I feel I'm at the stage where I can try to make money from my skills. How would one do this is a film related industry.

Also, I'm not really making as many films as I'd like. Ideally I'd like to be filming everyday and producing a few videos a month. However I'm barely doing that. My lifestyle has become sooo bad since starting uni. I'm putting on weight and getting fat. I'm barely leaving the house...etc.

Any advice on how I can get my life back on track?
Where do you study? I’m guessing it’s a **** city.

I find some of your comments a bit contradictory. You say you’re at the stage where you think you can make money, but you could be losing out on opportunities to work with people in the industry if you’re not going to uni most of the time and not engaging with the work. Sometimes you have to soldier on through things you don’t enjoy when it benefits you in the long term. Keep the bigger picture in mind and think about how you can turn a bad situation in your favour. Filmmaking is a competitive industry - most organisations, if not all of them, will specify a good education before they employ you. You could be impressing lots of people at uni who could then recommend you for work, but you won’t get that by sitting at home and missing lectures. Be proactive about it, engage with people and promote yourself. It doesn’t sound like you’re doing any of that right now, to be totally honest with you.

Being fat and putting on some weight won’t stop you from making videos, but laziness and a don’t care attitude will. You don’t need to be outside to make videos, you can do them in the comfort of your own home and just talk to the camera about anything and everything. You’ve made your own YouTube channel, but have you actually watched how other content creators on there make their videos? Be creative, there’s so much you can talk about and so many different ways you could present it. Especially now with everyone being stuck inside in isolation - making videos, editing and uploading them can actually be quite therapeutic and make you feel productive. I’m assuming you have some basic filmmaking equipment of your own. Filmmaking is obviously a field in which you have to promote and market yourself really well: networking is key! Start by going to uni, focusing on the work, interact with the staff and other students. Make the effort with people. Teachers will help you out if you do your part and demonstrate that you have a hard working attitude. Don’t be defeatist about it, you have to hustle and find or create opportunities for yourself. Nobody achieves anything in the film industry by sitting at home all day writing a few essays.
Last edited by asif007; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.99%
Isolating with family (122)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.48%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.33%
Loneliness (172)
9.88%
Financial worries (69)
3.96%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (159)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.85%

Watched Threads