ABRSM or Trinity for grade eight piano?

Watch
*ConfusedStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am about to start work on m grade eight piano and am needing to choose between Trinity or ABRSM. I know Trinity is significantly easier (hence tempting!) but I was just wondering what are the advantages of taking ABRSM? Eg if I suddenly decide I want to teach piano will I need it? Thanks.
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve got no experience with trinity but my teachers have always said ABRSM is better as it’s more highly regarded (I play violin and viola so it may be different for different instruments).

Maybe listen to the pieces for each exam board and see which ones you prefer?

Remember as well though to do ABRSM grade 8 you need grade 5 music theory, which I don’t think you do for trinity
remussjhj01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've never heard anything about ABRSM being 'better' other than vague rumours without reasoning. I've always done Trinity (for classical guitar), no uni has ever looked down on me or anything.
I would do the one with pieces you prefer, as then you'll be more inclined to practice. If you decided you wanted to teach (privately or in a school), you would not need to have ABRSM grades. I'm actually pretty sure you don't need grade exams at all for teacher training, so I really wouldn't worry.
Also, as above, to do need to to grade 5 music theory to sit any grade 6+ practical exam with ABRSM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.3%
No (586)
65.7%

Watched Threads