Higher Physics without National 5 Maths qualification?

Watch
Voaly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there, I am currently choosing my subjects for S5 and I want to take Higher Physics as I got a good result in the National 5 prelim (69%, one mark off to an A haha). The problem is that I haven't done National 5 Maths yet and will be taking it in S5. Will I be disadvantaged for Higher Physics without National 5 maths? If so, is there anything I can do about it to not struggle with Higher Physics? Also, I did better than most of my class in the prelim and everyone else except me is doing National 5 maths in my physics class. Lastly, I really don't wanna have to end up picking up something new in S5 and doing Higher Physics in S6, that's the last thing I want, I already got rejected from Higher Engineering for not doing the National 5 Maths exam this year. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it, thank you.

Here are the subjects I am taking at the moment:
National 5 Physics
National 5 Engineering Science
National 5 Computing Science
National 5 Administration
National 5 English
National 4/5 Maths (I have passed the National 4 added value, but we are doing National 5 Numeracy right now so that people who drop out Maths get something for it)

Here is what I am planning on taking next year:
National 5 Maths
Higher Computing Science
Higher Administration
Higher English
Higher Physics (Hopefully)
Last edited by Voaly; 1 year ago
Abbyc18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t see it having an impact on you sitting physics it might just help you more while studying physics that you do maths along beside it. Your best person to ask is a physics teacher in the school.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Voaly)
Hi there, I am currently choosing my subjects for S5 and I want to take Higher Physics as I got a good result in the National 5 prelim (69%, one mark off to an A haha). The problem is that I haven't done National 5 Maths yet and will be taking it in S5. Will I be disadvantaged for Higher Physics without National 5 maths? If so, is there anything I can do about it to not struggle with Higher Physics? Also, I did better than most of my class in the prelim and everyone else except me is doing National 5 maths in my physics class. Lastly, I really don't wanna have to end up picking up something new in S5 and doing Higher Physics in S6, that's the last thing I want, I already got rejected from Higher Engineering for not doing the National 5 Maths exam this year. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it, thank you.

National 5 Physics
National 5 English
National 4/5 Maths (I have passed the National 4 added value, but we are doing National 5 Numeracy right now so that people who drop out Maths get something for it)

National 5 Maths
Higher Computing Science
Higher Administration
Higher English
I think that given you're doing well in Nat 5, this wouldn't be too much of an issue for you. In terms of the maths in higher physics, it's not much different from Nat 5 really - just lots of substituting in equations. There's not much of the Nat 5 course that's directly relevant to it, so while it's often seen as an unwritten rule that you need maths to do physics, I don't think that at this level you particularly do. Hope this helps
HuBeeny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Voaly)

National 5 Physics
National 5 English

National 5 Maths
Higher Computing Science
Higher Administration
Higher English
I think you could. But if you're not going to take Maths I'd recommend looking over parts of it throughout the year. I would look at Sin/cosine rule, basic trig (SOHCAHTOA), rearranging formulas (it can get a lot more complex than N5).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed