The Student Room Group

Eligibility (previous foreign degree)

Hi

I hope someone could advise. I have a foreign degree (LLB from University of South Africa) and am interested in studying a Bsc psychology and counselling degree at OU. Would I be eligible for student finance? I’m South African national with Indefinite Leave to Remain status and have lived in England for the last 5 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ConfusedSA
Hi

I hope someone could advise. I have a foreign degree (LLB from University of South Africa) and am interested in studying a Bsc psychology and counselling degree at OU. Would I be eligible for student finance? I’m South African national with Indefinite Leave to Remain status and have lived in England for the last 5 years

Hi there,

Will you be studying full time or part time? Can you confirm the name of the university and full course name please?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
It is BSc (Honours) Psychology with counselling, it says I can get part-time loan on OU website. I will be studying part-time.
It is BSc (Honours) Psychology with counselling, it says I can get part-time loan on OU website. I will be studying part-time.

Thank you for confirming those details. I can confirm that you will be eligible for this course as it is an exception to previous study rules. The course hasn't been updated yet for the academic year 20/21 as applications aren't available at this time. They will be available from the Summer of this year, please monitor your online account for these to launch.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Thank you for confirming those details. I can confirm that you will be eligible for this course as it is an exception to previous study rules. The course hasn't been updated yet for the academic year 20/21 as applications aren't available at this time. They will be available from the Summer of this year, please monitor your online account for these to launch.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

Thanks, Erin

Thank you so much for confirming this Erin, really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Have a nice day!
Thank you so much for confirming this Erin, really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Have a nice day!

You are very welcome! Have a lovely weekend when it comes :smile:
Reply 6
Just a few questions about applying for the part-time tuition loan:

Do I need to disclose my spouse's employment income/ household income and evidence thereof even if I am not applying for maintenance loan (since I won't be eligible for it)?

Will I need to send transcripts with credits for my previous degree or just the degree certificate itself to prove my qualification?

Will passport, Biometric Residence Permit, council tax bills, Home Office letters of leave granted be enough to prove my residence of over 5 years? I will have had 2 holidays abroad in the last year (5 weeks and 3 weeks) count against me?
Just a few questions about applying for the part-time tuition loan:

Do I need to disclose my spouse's employment income/ household income and evidence thereof even if I am not applying for maintenance loan (since I won't be eligible for it)?

Will I need to send transcripts with credits for my previous degree or just the degree certificate itself to prove my qualification?

Will passport, Biometric Residence Permit, council tax bills, Home Office letters of leave granted be enough to prove my residence of over 5 years? I will have had 2 holidays abroad in the last year (5 weeks and 3 weeks) count against me?

Hello,

No, we won't require your partners income.

You will only need to confirm your degree within the application.

Holidays are not taking in to account.

We require your passport and Home Office letters to confirm your status within the UK.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 8
I have a question about my application. I am completing the part time application and put in my course Bsc (hons) psychology Q07 z07 open university as course to study and then when it asked me about previous study is it okay to put my previous degree in other box? My previous degree is LLB (Bachelor of laws) through UNISA. Is that right?
I have a question about my application. I am completing the part time application and put in my course Bsc (hons) psychology Q07 z07 open university as course to study and then when it asked me about previous study is it okay to put my previous degree in other box? My previous degree is LLB (Bachelor of laws) through UNISA. Is that right?

Hi there, you should input all previous higher education study.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Hi I sent my BRP, which states I have ILR. This status was granted on 12/02/2020. I sent this off and it was returned with a request for more information to prove my status in the uk...I am not sure if you are aware, but in order to be granted ILR one must prove to the Home Office that you had lawful residence for the 5 years before it. They ceased to give ILR for shorter residence periods back in 2014...I don’t have my previous BRP, because the law states you have to cut it up and return it to them when you are get a new one or be fined £1000. I’ve sent an original letter from HMRC with my permit in the post, a look into my NI number proves I’ve been a UK tax payer for the Last 5 years, with a 3 month break end of 2015 when I was unemployed. I am only able to provide Home Office letters stating ILR has been granted this year and then another dated 28/09/2017 stating further leave to remain has been granted and that I am on the 5 year route. I guess I can supply HMRC tax returns, bank statements and council tax and utility bills. Would this be okay?
Hi I sent my BRP, which states I have ILR. This status was granted on 12/02/2020. I sent this off and it was returned with a request for more information to prove my status in the uk...I am not sure if you are aware, but in order to be granted ILR one must prove to the Home Office that you had lawful residence for the 5 years before it. They ceased to give ILR for shorter residence periods back in 2014...I don’t have my previous BRP, because the law states you have to cut it up and return it to them when you are get a new one or be fined £1000. I’ve sent an original letter from HMRC with my permit in the post, a look into my NI number proves I’ve been a UK tax payer for the Last 5 years, with a 3 month break end of 2015 when I was unemployed. I am only able to provide Home Office letters stating ILR has been granted this year and then another dated 28/09/2017 stating further leave to remain has been granted and that I am on the 5 year route. I guess I can supply HMRC tax returns, bank statements and council tax and utility bills. Would this be okay?

If you can't provide 3 years of valid status then please call us or message us on Facebook or Twitter and ask for us to contact the Home Office. We will then contact the HO to find out your status for the 3 years.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
Hi I hope someone could help. After nearly 7 months since applying for loan I received an email from SFE that they want me to send a statement of comparability for my foreign degree. My Qualification is UNISA LLB degree is NQF level 7, 480 credits, RQF level 6 in the UK (according to Google). Does this disqualify me from getting the tuition fee part time loan for the OU bsc (hons) psychology and counselling Q84 degree if my previous degree is level 6 in uk? Even with I want to study a STEM course exempt from previous study?
Hi I hope someone could help. After nearly 7 months since applying for loan I received an email from SFE that they want me to send a statement of comparability for my foreign degree. My Qualification is UNISA LLB degree is NQF level 7, 480 credits, RQF level 6 in the UK (according to Google). Does this disqualify me from getting the tuition fee part time loan for the OU bsc (hons) psychology and counselling Q84 degree if my previous degree is level 6 in uk? Even with I want to study a STEM course exempt from previous study?

Hi, Psychology at the Open University is an exception course, so you can be funded regardless of previous study.
I advise you to call or message us on Facebook/Twitter so your account can be reviewed as I'm unsure why an assessor would request evidence when previous study won't matter.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 14
Hi IsaacThanks for getting back to me. I thought more about this, it could be to check that my qualification is same as UK honours degree, which I got confirmation that I have in my NARIC report. From what I’ve read, could it be because I clicked on other qualification in the application form, as per online guidance notes for qualifications from abroad, and they want to see the level of qualification, because if it turned out that my qualification was below honours degree they would deduct years funded from 16 year limit?
Hi IsaacThanks for getting back to me. I thought more about this, it could be to check that my qualification is same as UK honours degree, which I got confirmation that I have in my NARIC report. From what I’ve read, could it be because I clicked on other qualification in the application form, as per online guidance notes for qualifications from abroad, and they want to see the level of qualification, because if it turned out that my qualification was below honours degree they would deduct years funded from 16 year limit?

Even if your qualification was below a level 6, it wouldn't impact your eligibility for part time funding.

I would still advise you to contact us by calling or messaging on Facebook/Twitter so an advisor can double check to see why this was requested. New Facebook/Twitter messages currently take around 1 hour to respond to, you should send your full name and CRN if you message on Facebook/Twitter.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 16
Thanks, I will do that.
Thanks, I will do that.

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 18
I messaged on Facebook at 14.24. Will update here when I get response. Thanks
I messaged on Facebook at 14.24. Will update here when I get response. Thanks

I'm glad we got this resolved :smile:

Quick Reply